Training books?

Karl Hungus

Sep 22, 2007
I have just started back into cycling this last summer after a 12 year layoff and look forward to heading into the Cat 5 ranks next Spring (or the Korean equivalent until I get back to the States next late summer).

I am in pretty good shape as I have been doing endurance sports my whole life and was very active with running, climbing and mountaineering after I stopped cycling competitively.

I am currently living in Seoul on an Army base and would like to add a little "science" to my training.

I have a good HRM but no power meter. I will not be able to afford a power meter probably for about one year. I am riding on a Lemond Poprad that has been "converted" into a road bike and doing well. I am averaging 500 miles a month with a lot of good tempo/ aerobic base building heart rates (or at least I think so). I am getting a nice road bike in the next few months.

I weigh 158 pounds and am 5'10''.

I am looking for a good book to help me tailor my training to get the most out of it.

What book woudl you all recommend to help with a training plan to get me started back into racing form?

Thanks,
Buck

Two that come to mind right away are Chris Carmichael's book (forget the title, sorry) - some people love it, some hate it - and
The Cyclist's Training Bible by Joe Friel. I used the Bible extensively before moving on to getting my own coach. The Bible isn't perfect, and it's geared mostly to racing, but I think overall it's a good way to start a regimented training program. It leads you through designing your year and breaking it down into different periods, as well as self-evaluation of your weaknesses (or what he calls your "limiters")...some people will nitpick about the finer points he brings up in the physiological sections, but again, I think overall it is an excellent book and a good place to start.