Training Choice... Running or Cycling

Originally Posted by jordanaustino .

Having run cross country in high school, I found that running helped me to increase my steady state power. That was with an increase in total training load and decrease in cycling. I also find that from a muscular stand point I lean out when I run.

There has been some research which has suggested that running increases V02max more than cycling as well.

I wouldn't cut out much cycling volume to run, but when daylight hours are limited running has a benefit of being pretty easy to do when it is dark outside. Up to 10 mile runs are a part of my off season plans.
Thanks for your input. I'm going to put this to the test and see. I'm going to do a field test on the bike before I start and then do one after 1 month to see if there is any difference. that may not be a long enough time for any significant change, but it's worth a shot.

Running is totally different from cycling in that the hip/leg extension phase is shorter than in cycling. I myself have found that cross-training is good,
if just that if you get bored of cycling you can maintain aerobic fitness cycling or swimming or rowing. VO2 max is higher running (and skiing) because the arms and back are involved more while cycling is really just the legs.

VO2 max is higher running (and skiing) because the arms and back are involved more while cycling is really just the legs.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't do extensive running, but, when I do run I check my heart rate at the high-end of my running comfort level and I'm typically at the high end of zone 3. At the same degree of effort on a bike, I'm well into zone 4. Again..I'm not a runner, so there may be many other factors contributing to my numbers, but... that's what I've noticed.

cyclightning said:
because the arms and back are involved more while cycling is really just the legs.
lower back works hard in cycling and the rest of the upper body is developed silently while you train, those muscles become strong but don't get volume, thats why they go unnoticed,

I don't know if these were serious responses - the upper arms swing while running thus increasing oxygen consumption during a maximal aerobic running event - such as a 1500 meter run.

well the duration of an aerobic 1500 meter running race would be the duration of an anaerobic interval in cycling, an aerobic workout on cycling cannot be less than an hour or 45 minutes, i think we are comparing oranges with apples, the bottom line would be that cross training is good but during the off season/winter only,

Originally Posted by jordanaustino

Having run cross country in high school, I found that running helped me to increase my steady state power. That was with an increase in total training load and decrease in cycling. I also find that from a muscular stand point I lean out when I run.

There has been some research which has suggested that running increases V02max more than cycling as well.

I wouldn't cut out much cycling volume to run, but when daylight hours are limited running has a benefit of being pretty easy to do when it is dark outside. Up to 10 mile runs are a part of my off season plans.
+1.
Agree with every word. Running increases my muscle fatigue resistance considerably. Treadmill, outside - doesn't matter.
Suggest it only in the off-season as others have mentioned.