Training etiquette when pros pass

Denia

Sep 9, 2005
Hi - I live in an area of Spain where many of the Pro teams are based each January/February (Denia, east coast Spain). When out riding at a steady 30-35km per hour, what would you do if a pro team came up behind and began to pass you at a pace that you could keep up with for a while (35-40 kph)? I have always kept my own pace and shouted a few words of support to them but the devil in me would love to try and hang on to the back of them for a while. No doubt they are used to people doing it but do you think it bugs the hell out of them? I've been passed three times this week by Quick Step, poetry in motion to watch even when they are just training.

i have tagged along with some notables, the approach i use is to ask,
"mind if i try to hang for a while?"
the usual outcome is i am on the rivet as they cruise on at pace for them as conversational.
the best thing to come out of this for me was when i followed
(name dropping alert)
horner and klasna over a slight rise and they looked back to see i was still on,
barely.

Denia said:
Hi - I live in an area of Spain where many of the Pro teams are based each January/February (Denia, east coast Spain). When out riding at a steady 30-35km per hour, what would you do if a pro team came up behind and began to pass you at a pace that you could keep up with for a while (35-40 kph)? I have always kept my own pace and shouted a few words of support to them but the devil in me would love to try and hang on to the back of them for a while. No doubt they are used to people doing it but do you think it bugs the hell out of them? I've been passed three times this week by Quick Step, poetry in motion to watch even when they are just training.

Denia said:

When I'm out riding and someone obviously not as good as me (not trying to brag here) wants to hop on, my first concern is that they might not be as skilled as they need to be and might cause me to crash. If I were a pro, that concern would be multiplied by a large factor.

Let them go, you'll interfere with their training.

Thanks for your answers and interesting to see the different views. I haven't tried to go with them nor am I likely to when it is clear they are out on a full scale training ride, certainly wouldn't like to be the reason that anyone falls off and at a steady 40kph there's not much danger of me seeing their backsides for more than a few minutes anyway. Occasionally, however, we see groups of 3-4 pros cruising at a more relaxed pace and I've been told some of them are okay to people being alongside them for a while and engaging in some conversation. Common sense, as always, gives an obvious answer to this situation but I was interested to see if anyone would say they would bust a gut to keep up with them, I thought there might be a few glory hunters out there.

I might try to chase them down (emphasis on try), but I wouldn't join the group. A crash in a training ride could prematurely end the season for someone who unlike me is riding to pay his bills. I would respect the fact that they don't know what my bike handling skills are and just stay out of the way.

Like Hypnospin said, you ask. They will let you know if you can try or to buzz off. I've never dealt with an entire Elite team, but smaller, US based teams and collegite teams.

artmichalek said:
I might try to chase them down (emphasis on try), but I wouldn't join the group. A crash in a training ride could prematurely end the season for someone who unlike me is riding to pay his bills. I would respect the fact that they don't know what my bike handling skills are and just stay out of the way.
well stated; let em go this is their profession. do you want the guy who empties the trash at the office sitting in on board meetings just because he happens to be at that room.

jrstevens said:
well stated; let em go this is their profession. do you want the guy who empties the trash at the office sitting in on board meetings just because he happens to be at that room.
Point taken, although the guy who empties the trash often talks more sense than the combined board in my corporate experience. In this instance Quick Step has support vehicles tracking them and protecting them so the chances are if someone tries to join them from behind they'll quickly get the message to back off. The way it has happened with me is that the team has come up from behind and passed and like anyone with a competitive spirit, I would love to accelerate and stay in their midst for a while - fact is I haven't and can understand why I shouldn't. The team is in my area for the rest of the week and go out like clockwork so I'll continue to enjoy being passed for a few days yet.

Denia said:

Looks like Euskaltel is there this week too.
http://www.todociclismo.com/noticia.asp?id=30282

Denia said:
Thanks for your answers and interesting to see the different views. I haven't tried to go with them nor am I likely to when it is clear they are out on a full scale training ride, certainly wouldn't like to be the reason that anyone falls off and at a steady 40kph there's not much danger of me seeing their backsides for more than a few minutes anyway. Occasionally, however, we see groups of 3-4 pros cruising at a more relaxed pace and I've been told some of them are okay to people being alongside them for a while and engaging in some conversation. Common sense, as always, gives an obvious answer to this situation but I was interested to see if anyone would say they would bust a gut to keep up with them, I thought there might be a few glory hunters out there.

This was covered quite well in one of the Sapish cycle mags some years ago : some don´t like company , some do but much depends on the sort of training they´re doing so ....
be polite , ask if it´s ok but don´t get bugged if they don´t want the company - that said most will , for a short time , be nice to their fans if they can .

When my friends and I see a group of pro's out, we get off our bikes, bow down, and start saying:

"We're not worthy!"
"We're not worthy!"

JohnO said:
When my friends and I see a group of pro's out, we get off our bikes, bow down, and start saying:

"We're not worthy!"
"We're not worthy!"
AMEN TO THAT

JohnO said:

"We're not worthy!"
"We're not worthy!"

" ditto "

el Inglés said:
This was covered quite well in one of the Sapish cycle mags some years ago : some don´t like company , some do but much depends on the sort of training they´re doing so ....
be polite , ask if it´s ok but don´t get bugged if they don´t want the company - that said most will , for a short time , be nice to their fans if they can .
I agree, if its ok with them, have fun. If they don't want you there, they'll let you know, either with words or actions.

I was just in Mallorca, and got the opportunity to ride with T-Mobile and specifically Jan Ullrich. First thing after we caught up was to ask permission from at the team car that was following. I specifically asked to ride with Jan, and was told no, but I persisted and was given a short reprieve. After my time with Jan I went to the back (they were riding in two groups that morning), where the rest of the team stated we could stay on as long as we wanted as long as we didn’t interfere with their ride. Basically you can draft, but don’t overlap wheels, and do not enter the rotation. My two friends and I stayed with the team for an hour and a half exchanging in quite an interesting discussion. It was a great experience.

I think if you are respectful and courteous teams will be okay with “stragglers” – I’m going to guess they are used to fans and fanatics wanting to get their brush with fame.

HR

Nice one - riding with Jan has to be worth getting a few free drinks from your friends. Did he look mean and lean or his normal pre-season heavyweight contender?

YEARS AND YEARS I took Thomas Durst of Panasonic around Montreal for a 60km ride the day before the Grand Prix D'Armeriques. I saw him leaving the hotel where all the pros stay during the event, I asked him if I could ride with him a bit. We got talking and he desperately wanted to get out of the traffic so I rode him down to the bike paths. We rode out to the West Island 30k, I was headed to my mum's house in the west but didn't want to leave him, so I rode him back into town. I still have his cold weather cap with his name stitched into it. I got a paragraph in La Cyclist in France as a 'mystery man' who kept up on a single speed roady. He was also shocked at how much messengers rode all through the year. I'l always cherish that ride, and am thankful I didn't choke and not ask. All they can do is say no.

Denia said:
Nice one - riding with Jan has to be worth getting a few free drinks from your friends. Did he look mean and lean or his normal pre-season heavyweight contender?
To be honest I didn’t really notice any weight issues – everyone was in cold weather gear, and I was a bit star-struck. I mean for me Jan has been my idol for a decade now. The one thing that did strike me was he is larger in person than I thought he’d be – I mean he is a substantial guy any way you cut it. His long “rock star” hair made me wonder if it was him, but as I rolled into position, to his right, I said “Jan”. He turned his head and made a double take. He was amused that an American was training in Mallorca. I’d say his face was looking pretty angular and lean – but that’s all I can really comment on.

Last year my wife and went to several races (in Belgium, Netherlands, TdF, etc) and got up-close and personal with several Pros, she got autographs and such from Christophe Moreau and many others. I’ve been an arms length from Floyd Landis (have a great picture of him at the TTT in Eindhoven), Basso and dozens more to include George H., Eki, and ol’ Lancey boy. Jan is built bigger than them and will consequently always look bigger than them. And yes Michael Rasmussen, looks even more like a scrawny ol’ chicken wing in person, but he is a terrifically very nice guy – the wife got to chat with him at a race in Heerlen NL, a few minutes from the house here.

HR