Training Fatigue

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Rocket Ron, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron New Member

Hi Guys,
    Need some help. So first some background info on me.
    68y fairly good shape. Riding for approx 18 months (runner previous to this)
    So this is my problem:- I can't seem to find a balance of training that doesn't leave my legs weary on the next ride.
    I've tried a short 15km rides with steep hills (with a thought to gain power) on a Wednesday followed by a long endurance ride on Sundays (70-100kms) I've tried changing that to shorter much less intense rides Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays to see if I can rest the muscles a bit. I drink electrolytes etc during the ride and a Recouperation drink straight after the ride. Didn't stretch but massaged but now trying stretching.
    Anybody got any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Tags:

2. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Is it all of your legs that are aching/weary ? When I was forced to give up running due to ankle problems, aged 40, I increased my cycling from 2 days a week (Downhill mountain biking) to 6 days a week, including climbing and endurance runs. I had a few problems with aching calves for a while. I asked a few others if they had suffered similar problems and was advised to build up my calves a bit. I followed a program of training on my calves for about 3 months and it solved the problem for me. I don't have a training schedule online but I've found one thats basically identical to the one I used. If its just your calves aching, give it a go, its fairly gentle and it could help.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/legs-exercises/complete-calves-workout

3. Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron New Member

Thanks Steve. In actual fact its my legs in general, but this looks good and wouldn't go a miss so I'm going to include it in my regime. Thanks

4. comlink

comlink New Member

really just biking when you need it is the best way, schedule an appointment for for the dentist or something and bike to the place. Now that you are on a time limit and a reason to get there you will have the motivation and a need to get there. There will still be pain, but now there is a reason to go instead of just training the strength will come in time, keep going!

5. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

Hello there. I have been riding and running from 2006. and although i am an ameteur i manage to keep my form and go long.
    I am 28 years old so i can just assume that you probably need more time to rest your muscles. Nevertheless, i think that beside proper rest period you also need a good diet. It is good that you take electrolytes and i believe that you take all the vitamins, proteins and good carbs. With that thought i can tell you that if you feel tired you should simply rest until you feel ready to go again. I do that , but i run marathons and half-marathons and i am a vegetarian so this is just my experience. I think the soarness in the muscles is a good thing, you know they work but if you loose strength you really need to slow down. Work smart not HARD. By the way, i am thrilled to hear that you are in good shape and that you support sport in all its beauty. Way to go!

6. xeylonfm

xeylonfm New Member

Yeah I think @Djordje87 is quite right when he says you should “work smart and not work hard.” You see when it comes to bodily exercise, you need to optimize the process as well as stay safe in undertaking it. I remember some concept in weight lifting is that when you do less than 4 reps, then the exercise is bound to injure you and not build you. The same applies in cycling. If you feel pain, please stop IMMEDIATELY. It has gone beyond the optimum level and it is causing more damage to the body. It is no longer a benefit, but a liability. If you feel uncomfortably fatigue, that should be an indication that you must have overdone it and if you increase the level the next time, you shall me causing more damage to your bodies joints. Distant doesn’t matter as such, but the exercise itself. Just try to keep within comfortable levels. With time you will realize you are well off and would complain less. Hope this wors for you brother.

7. Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron New Member

Thanks xeylonfm. Been keeping this in mind and everything has sorted itself out now. Found the right balance of training, stretching eating and rest. So it´s onward and upward :)

8. igasmurfa

igasmurfa New Member

Good to hear that you managed to find a way to alleviate the aches. I guess this goes to show some older riders can still pack a punch.

9. goldenmaine

goldenmaine New Member

Maybe you need to find another training regimen that is suitable for you. There are free training guides out there and they are specific to your age, weight and height, body proportion and physical lifestyle. Since you are always fatigued, may be your are overworked or your muscles are not yet accustomed to a new training. Keep searching for the training that suits you which will not make you tired easily so that you can perform well and produce better results and you may last longer during rides.

10. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Fatigue can be caused by a number of things, so the best in my opinion is to have a physical program coordinated with a proper nutrition. What we eat makes a huge difference and can really boost our energy levels.

11. Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron New Member

Think I´ve got it sorted now oportosanto. Doing less miles and varying the type of ride. 1 X Endurance, 1 X Z2 and 1 X Interval. Also making sure I stretch. I´ve always eaten a good cared diet. Thanks for your input. :)

oportosanto likes this.
  12. artyarson

artyarson Member

Fatigue is a normal thing. But to make it worthwhile you should set the progressive chalanges for yourself.

Rocket Ron likes this.
  13. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Stretching is important to avoid pains in the next day, I am a little lazy to stretch, but I do have some supplements that make me ready for the next day workout, they reduce the pains a lot.

14. Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron New Member

I used to be a lazy stretcher as well. But have made sure I do it properly now and I think it helps a great deal. B)