Training for 30's Plus

HostBidder

Oct 31, 2005
I'm in my 30's and do a little recreational cycling on a Giant mountain bike. I plan on buying a road bike soon. I'd like to have a goal, as in an event that I will start training for.

What are the best events for someone in their 30's?

Have any major tours or olympic events been won by people in their 30's?

HostBidder said:
I'm in my 30's and do a little recreational cycling on a Giant mountain bike. I plan on buying a road bike soon. I'd like to have a goal, as in an event that I will start training for.

Depending on where you are, you may want to try doing a local century ride and if you want to push it, try and do it in less than 6 hours (17mph avg speed).

HostBidder said:
Yeah, I believe there's a rider by the name of Lance Armstrong who's in his 30's and has won some stuff lately. ;)

HostBidder said:
It'd be helpful to know where you live, but if you're talking about the United States, then I'd suggest looking up the MS 150 in your area. A google search for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society will direct you to some info.

I recommend it because there are lots of riders, the rides are typically well organized and well supported, it benefits a great cause and gives you a more important reason (besides fitness) to do it, you'll find riders of all shapes, sizes, and speeds to interact with, and it's a lot of fun.

Thanks for your responses.

What age is Lance?

I'm in Ireland. I can contact my local cycling club for local events but I was really wondering what types of major tours or Olympic races suit older people. I don't know but I'd imagine a longer race would suit an older person whereas a younger person would be more likely to win a shorter race like a time trial?

HostBidder said:
What age is Lance?
He just turned 34 in September. "The oldest winner of the Tour was Firmin Lambot (BEL), who won in 1922 at the age of 36." -- source: http://www.trekbikes.com/tour_de_france/about_tdf/faqs.jsp

HostBidder said:
I'm in Ireland. I can contact my local cycling club for local events but I was really wondering what types of major tours or Olympic races suit older people. I don't know but I'd imagine a longer race would suit an older person whereas a younger person would be more likely to win a shorter race like a time trial?
Lance seems pretty strong in the time trials, too, so I'm not really sure. I've heard that the multi-day events suit the older riders because it takes a few years for the body to build up the ability to bounce back for punishment day after day.

frenchyge said:
He just turned 34 in September. "The oldest winner of the Tour was Firmin Lambot (BEL), who won in 1922 at the age of 36." .....
There's hope for me yet.

HostBidder said:

What age is Lance?

I think you're assuming that cyclists get slower when they get older. I only wish that were true (given that I am racing against people you would call "older"). Trust me, they don't slow down much with age. In fact, the fastest races in the states are masters (35+).

HostBidder said:

What age is Lance?

I'm 44, I live in the South of the UK, and got the time trial bug 2 seasons ago.
I love it when a 60+ year old rider comes past me in a TT, and says encouragingly:"Keep it up, son!".

Host

if you've been inactive for awhile it may be advisable to have a check up at the doc to be sure everythign is ready to go. Otherwise I tend to agree "older riders" tend to be some pretty tough customers. Even though recovery can be/and will be slower than when you were 18-25, your discipline, self-knowedge, and all that other stuff (old age and trechery will always beat youth) will add up. In a few years I'll be 40, and I have to say, if I could race my 18 year old self under any condition I'll kill that poor young sap. Sure my sprint was a bit better, with a bit more top end, but after that it is all down hill.

I know I'll have more than a thousand miles in before March - starting after the new year, I could never manage that!

HR

HostBidder said:

What age is Lance?

Host,

I am in Ireland as well by the way.

there are plenty of clubs where you can join and take part in events.
I suggest that you contact Cycling Ireland - they have a list of local clubs near you
http://www.cyclingireland.ie/contact.htm

Most clubs have guys who race but there is also a large contigent of cyclists who do touring/long distance cycling.
To raise you need to have a licence but you don't need a licence to tour.

There are plenty of guys still racing in the early/mid 30's.
Once you pass 35 you have to take out a veterans licence.

Can I suggest ...

Enjoy yourself. You'll quickly get faster and faster. Be careful, though. An older body can develop tendon problems if pressed too hard too fast.

Tendons take 100 days to grow. If you bugger one up, you'll be out of the sport for a while.

This happened to me. After 15 years of no exercise, I got serious about riding. Got the bike. Entered some races. Got the bug. Started training too hard. Achilles Tendinosis followed. So did 10 weeks off the bike ... with physical rehab to fix it.

The good news - back to hard training (but now with more care). Racing again. Stronger than ever.

Regards, enjoy :) , but take care ! MJH

Can I suggest ...

Enjoy yourself. You'll quickly get faster and faster. Be careful, though. An older body can develop tendon problems if pressed too hard too fast.

Tendons take 100 days to grow. If you bugger one up, you'll be out of the sport for a while.

This happened to me. After 15 years of no exercise, I got serious about riding. Got the bike. Entered some races. Got the bug. Started training too hard. Achilles Tendinosis followed. So did 10 weeks off the bike ... with physical rehab to fix it.

The good news - back to hard training (but now with more care). Racing again. Stronger than ever.

Regards, enjoy :) , but take care ! MJH

I am 35 and have the same sort of idea.

I had a motorcycle accident 5 months ago and have gotten back on the bike to help with the rehab. I forgot how much i enjoyed riding and how mental tough you had to be. I was quite a good trck rider when i was young, but in my teenage years found other things i thought were more fun.

Since my accident i realised that this was sort of a cahnce to make things right. I have been given a second chance "sort of" to fulfill a dream and i am going to do my best to do it.

I have been getting 20-40min a night on the trainer prepping the leggs ready for the new year when i get serious about the training and racing. I will join one of my local clubs and start the long road to where i need to be. I have given my self a time frame to be ready and make the next Olympic Team.

I hope thats not to soon.

if youre in ireland consider aiming to do this ride next year

http://www.wicklow200.ie/

these kind of "cyclosportive" events are increasingly popular, especially with those who find race pace a bit too hot, often meaning semi serious cyclists of a slightly older age bracket.

at anything other than the elite level there really is no practical limitation saying you cant train hard, go fast, and be a contender...well into your 30's, 40's, and even 50's.

(we have a guy in the UK, Roger Iddles, age 61, who has recently done a sub 20 minute 10 mile TT).

robkit said:
if youre in ireland consider aiming to do this ride next year

http://www.wicklow200.ie/

these kind of "cyclosportive" events are increasingly popular, especially with those who find race pace a bit too hot, often meaning semi serious cyclists of a slightly older age bracket.

at anything other than the elite level there really is no practical limitation saying you cant train hard, go fast, and be a contender...well into your 30's, 40's, and even 50's.

(we have a guy in the UK, Roger Iddles, age 61, who has recently done a sub 20 minute 10 mile TT).
I am in Australia so it would be a little hard for me to make that ride.

But in January i am going to start of with some simple road stuff to get the leggs and knee wroking properly, then down to the track for some training. Hopefully by middle of the year i will be well on way way back to some sort of fitness.