training for 45 mile ride

rappstar

Aug 16, 2007
i'm really new to cycling...just got a bike less than 1 week ago. in order to motivate myself to train, i signed up for a 45 mile ride for August 26th. i've been training everyday and doing the right things from a nutrition standpoint (i think - i played football in college and used to run cross country).

with 10 days to go, any suggestions on a daily ride to better prepare? should i try to ride 45 prior to the event or just focus on shorter routes and riding them more effective.

I'm probably the last person who should be chiming in here, but here it goes:

You're not going to improve your level of fitness too much in two weeks, so just ride with what you are comforatable with. If it's just a 45 mile group ride for some cause or another, there will be a lot of people who ride at all kinds of speeds. You said you are athletic, so you shouldn't have a problem completing it. If you want to ride 45 miles before hand, I say go for it, but it's not going to be entirely pleasant your first time doing it. I guess that's the idea, though. Do what you're comforatable with until you get back into the swing of things. Increase your mileage if you feel good. Good luck.