Training for a 10k

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Brynda, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Brynda

    Brynda Guest

    Is anyone here a runner or was a runner or wants to become a runner? I am going to do a 10k on March
    29th. I can walk or run, but I'd rather mostly run. Can I train in the next 3 months and be able to
    do that? I don't want to win or anything, I just want to say that I did it and get the t-shirt :)
    I've never run before in my life, but I do cardio workouts 4-6 days a week. I usually just walk, but
    want to incorporate jogging/running. I've never been able to run before due to large breasts (had
    the breast reduction in
    2002), and now I think I'm at a weight where I won't be too jiggly.

    Thanks for any info, advice or comments...

    Brynda
    2002/1/140ish

    Tags:

  2. This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

    ------=_NextPart_000_0085_01C3D356.05D291C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: quoted-printable

    Hi Brynda, Here is a link to an eight-week training program =
    http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm I believe that you can train to do a 10K by March
    29. Since you have = some time you could repeat some of the weeks in the training program. Kristine
    Quilici "Brynda" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
    news:[email protected]... Is anyone here a runner or was a runner or wants to
    become a runner? I = am going to do a 10k on March 29th. I can walk or run, but I'd rather = mostly
    run. Can I train in the next 3 months and be able to do that? I don't = want to win or anything, I
    just want to say that I did it and get the t-shirt =
    :)
    I've never run before in my life, but I do cardio workouts 4-6 days a = week. I usually just walk,
    but want to incorporate jogging/running. I've = never been able to run before due to large breasts
    (had the breast reduction = in
    2002), and now I think I'm at a weight where I won't be too jiggly.

    Thanks for any info, advice or comments...

    Brynda
    2002/1/140ish

    ------=_NextPart_000_0085_01C3D356.05D291C0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: quoted-printable

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
    Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
    name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi Brynda,</FONT></DIV>
    <><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here is a link to an eight-week = training program <A=20
    href=3D"http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm">http://www.ha=
    lhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm</A></FONT></DIV>
    <><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I believe that you can train to do a = 10K by March=20
    29. Since you have some time you could repeat some of the weeks in the = training=20
    program.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Kristine Quilici</FONT></DIV>
    <>"Brynda" <<A=20 href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">bfowler3_nospam_none_=
    @austin.rr.com</A>>=20 wrote in message <A=20
    href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:Hn5Kb.7562$4z.7352=
    @fe2.texas.rr.com</A>...</DIV>Is=20 anyone here a runner or was a runner or wants to become a
    runner? = I=20 am<BR>going to do a 10k on March 29th. I can walk or run, but I'd =
    rather=20 mostly<BR>run. Can I train in the next 3 months and be able to do=20
    that? I don't want<BR>to win or anything, I just want to say that = I did it=20 and get
    the t-shirt :)<BR>I've never run before in my life, but I do = cardio=20 workouts 4-6 days a
    week.<BR>I usually just walk, but want to = incorporate=20 jogging/running. I've
    never<BR>been able to run before due to = large=20 breasts (had the breast reduction
    in<BR>2002), and now I think I'm at a = weight=20 where I won't be too jiggly.<BR><BR>Thanks
    for any info, advice or=20 comments...<BR><BR>Brynda<BR>210/177/140ish<BR><BR></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0085_01C3D356.05D291C0--

  3. Good luck Brynda! You'll probably be much more comfortable since you're breast reduction.

    "Brynda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is anyone here a runner or was a runner or wants to become a runner? I am going to do a 10k on
    > March 29th. I can walk or run, but I'd rather mostly run. Can I train in the next 3 months and be
    > able to do that? I don't
    want
    > to win or anything, I just want to say that I did it and get the t-shirt
    :)
    > I've never run before in my life, but I do cardio workouts 4-6 days a
    week.
    > I usually just walk, but want to incorporate jogging/running. I've never been able to run before
    > due to large breasts (had the breast reduction in
    > 2002), and now I think I'm at a weight where I won't be too jiggly.
    >
    > Thanks for any info, advice or comments...
    >
    > Brynda
    > 210/177/140ish

  4. no advice on the running but good luck, Lee
    Brynda <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is anyone here a runner or was a runner or wants to become a runner? I am going to do a 10k on
    > March 29th. I can walk or run, but I'd rather mostly run. Can I train in the next 3 months and be
    > able to do that? I don't
    want
    > to win or anything, I just want to say that I did it and get the t-shirt
    :)
    > I've never run before in my life, but I do cardio workouts 4-6 days a
    week.
    > I usually just walk, but want to incorporate jogging/running. I've never been able to run before
    > due to large breasts (had the breast reduction in
    > 2002), and now I think I'm at a weight where I won't be too jiggly.
    >
    > Thanks for any info, advice or comments...
    >
    > Brynda
    > 210/177/140ish

  5. Petal

    Petal Guest

    Hi Brynda,

    The Runner's World web site has loads of information for training and getting started
    (http://www.runnersworld.com). I found it incredibly useful and for someone who couldn't run for
    more than about 30 seconds at a time, I can now run for 2-3 miles without walking breaks. Don't get
    discouraged if you find jogging (even at a very slow pace) difficult to do without walking breaks
    for the first few weeks. I couldn't believe how hard it was (I can do any other cardio exercise, so
    why was jogging so tough?) and thought I was out of shape and pathetic. Most people have to start by
    doing running/walking training, and it takes a bit of patience. Believe me, you'll feel like a
    million bucks when you run your first mile non-stop!

    Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

    Cheers, Petal