Training for a course when you haven't ridden it first

pytron

Dec 16, 2003
Do you have any tips for training for a race course when you cannot ride the course beforehand? Does it even matter?

I'm going to be doing the road bike portion of the Ski to Sea (www.skitosea.com ) relay race. My team is not going to be very good, so my performance is not that important, but I'd like to do the best I can. I know the course is 36 miles long and has a steep downhill to begin with. I have even mapped it out using my topographical software, so I know what the elevation profiles looks like and the course route.

However, I will most likely not be able to ride the course before the race (May 30th) because it is covered in snow right now and I won't have time when it thaws. I might be able to drive the course once but that is unlikely.

I have the road bike that I'll be using for the race and a cheap indoor wind trainer that works decently. I don't have a lot of money to spend on something like a Computrainer (although I'd really like one :) ).

I'm wondering if you folks have any tips on training for a race when you don't know the course. Although I've only participated in one other race (a mini-triathlon) I knew the course pretty well before racing it.

Any help is appreciated!

Originally posted by pytron
Do you have any tips for training for a race course when you cannot ride the course beforehand? Does it even matter?
You seem to have enough information to prepare for the event, but knowing the course could make a slight difference to your performance (cornering, pacing).

Originally posted by pytron
I know the course is 36 miles long and has a steep downhill to begin with. I have even mapped it out using my topographical software, so I know what the elevation profiles looks like and the course route.

***********! Why do you need to ride the course with all that info?
If you really want to do some specific training. look at the various features on the course that apear the hardest to overcome (ie: a climb or some heavily undulating terrain). Find the closest thing to home that best emulates these features and ride on them for training. Build in extra intensity as you find you can manage it.
Easy!

If you can't get out on the road because of the snow/ice etc. (you poor sod), and you know the course profile so well, I suggest you try and ride the course a few times with your indoor trainer. If you can adjust the tension etc. you should be able to simulate the hills. It will just be the cornering and the freewheeling bits you'll miss out on.

Another way of trianing for it on the indoor trainer is to do some interval work.

Finally, if the weather is so bad in your part of the world, then surely your competitors will face the same predicament. At least you will face them at the starting line, knowing you've done some solid training.

Interesting to hear how you go. When is it?

The course is on a mountain road which is why it is covered in snow and ice. I live about 2000 feet below that elevation so I just have to deal with rain. Training outside isn't a problem, but I prefer indoors when it is raining, mostly for safety's sake.

The race is May 31st. I'm doing almost exclusively indoor training right now although I get outside with my son in the trailer on the weekends. I talked to a friend of mine and we are going to try to ride the course together at least once before the race.

Thanks for all your great ideas!

Ride lots!

Course won't matter if you're the strongest one out there.

Ha, don't you love those simple answers that don't really answer the question?

Seriously though, I wouldn't sweat it to much. Just go out there and follow the wheel in front of you, or better yet, jump way out in the lead so you can see what's coming at ya!