Training for a first triathlon (sprint distance)

PB

Guest
I am in process of doing that now, and wondering if people find it more
effective to cross-train swim bike run, in wahtever distance and time,
or try to really nail down one of 3 at a time for better times in each
sport.

Thanks.

PB wrote:

> I am in process of doing that now, and wondering if people find it more
> effective to cross-train swim bike run, in wahtever distance and time,
> or try to really nail down one of 3 at a time for better times in each
> sport.
>
> Thanks.

I'd recommend focussing on the three separately, but overlap them so you
understand better what you will need to achieve in transition.

So try jumping on your bike as soon as you get out of the pool and think
about things like at what stage you want to take off your goggles/swim
cap, whether you want to dry your feet, where you will put your sunnies
and helmet, how you will mount your bike, whether you will put your
shoes on first or leave them on the bike (if using clipless pedals),
what gear you will be in, and how long it will take for your legs to
feel a bit normal. E.g. I kick my legs hard just before finishing the
swim to get the blood back to the legs, I take my goggles and cap off as
soon as I exit the water so I can see, I stand on my towel while putting
on my pre-opened sunnies and helmet, and I leave my shoes on the bike,
gear choice is determined by whether it's uphill or flat out of
transition, etc. I use a race suit so I don't get chafing or too much
drag or have to change.

Similarly after you rack your bike, what will you do? Did you clip out
or just slide your feet out (or were you already in runners)? Do you
need lube anywhere, i.e. do you blister without socks? How long will
your legs feel strange for? Do you want a hat? Etc.

If you feel very ready, do some brick sessions (bike/run) (and consider
making the bike leg a bit longer than the race and the run a bit
shorter, that's my preference). This can be very good if you want to
use an energy gel or similar, and need to judge how long you need to
digest it before running. I don't know many people who bother with
swim/bike sessions, just because it's a bit of a pain and no one much
wants to go out training in their swimsuit.

Tam

Both. :) Gotta get good at the individual events, sure, but you also need
to do BRIC training. (Bike-Run-In-Combination) where you put together two or
more of the events in sequence so you can practice transitioning from one to
the other.

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo!

news:p[email protected]...