training for cross country tour

malawi

Jul 30, 2006
Hi,

I am a young person who is just about completely new to cycling. I've been an athlete for years, so I am not out of shape, although I only do cardio and no weights. I am young (19) and am very accostomed to pushing myself very hard.

Basically, I am planning to do a cross country tour next summer for charity and I am trying to plan a training routine (the trip is around 80 miles a day). So far, I am planning to start serious training in December, and have a few sessions with a personal trainer at my gym to instruct me on the proper use of weights for cycling. I really want to feel strong on this trip, and I want it to be rewarding and challenging, and not painful.

The reason I am not starting to train until December is that I am in school this fall and working, and don't have much time to put in during the day light hours. However, I do plan to take the bike out about twice a week for a 60 mile ride. I also will work out about 1 to 2 hours at the gym everyday, (EFX machine or cycling classes). I'm also afraid that if I start cycling early, I will burn myself out. When I commit to something, I tend to overdo it i.e. I will start trying to ride 100+ miles a day by october and by June, I will be worn out.

Another thing that worries me slightly is I have had some issues with eating disorders in the past and although I am doing MUCH better, I still have issues from time to time. How detrimental could this be to my trip if I have a few "bad days" in terms of food?

Lastly, I don't have a lot of money, and want to donate the vast majority to charity. Ideas for cheap equipment? I need a new bike and shoes. I have very minimal gear (1 multitool, 1 pr. shorts, 1 pr. gloves)

Sorry for the long post

Thanks!