Training for distance?

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
I was asked by a friend to participate in a hundred kilometer (62 mile) charity ride in June. What is the best way to get ready for that? Try to get in some rides of comparable length before hand? Or just get in as many rides in the 20-25 mile range as possible?

Charity rides are a little easier than doing a solo 100 km (what's commonly referred to as a "metric century"). There are usually rest stops, typically at 20 mile intervals, and other riders to help pull you along.

Try getting your daily average to 20-25. Throw in a longer ride once or twice a week, maybe on a weekend. Shoot for 30 miles in a week or two. Then try 40. By May you should be able to knock off 50 miles. 100 km is not too much longer.

Rest and recovery are important. Do easy rides twice a week, and take a day off now and then.

Remember, it's a charity ride. Not a race. Your goal is to finish and raise money for the cause. Get off the bike and walk for a bit at the rest stops. Refill your bottles and take some food (don't stuff yourself, though). You can look at it as three 20 mile rides with 5-10 minutes between them. But don't stay off the bike too long, because you'll feel sluggish when you resume.

Training is obviously important, but just make sure on the ride you maintain a sustainable pace. Let faster riders go, and make sure you have a good understanding of what speed your group plans to average...

What event are you entered in, Tour de Cure? I'm in the metro detroit area too.

Chuck

Very good advice above but the most important point is to ride a lot as in 4 or 5 days per week if not more. Do that and get out for an hour to three hours on those rides and you'll be ready for a metric century before you know it. Sure ride quicker or longer on days when you feel good or have more time and ride easier or shorter on days when you're tired or don't have as much time but mostly ride a lot.

-Dave

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

I was asked by a friend
Ride with your friend. A lot.

It gives you someone to pass the time with. It gives you someone to help with the problems that arise.

100K might take you 4-5 hours. It is unlikely that you will find strangers to ride that long with you. Certainly you will ride with stangers for short periods of time. But it is very nice to have a friend with you.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

Ride with your friend. A lot.

It gives you someone to pass the time with. It gives you someone to help with the problems that arise.

100K might take you 4-5 hours. It is unlikely that you will find strangers to ride that long with you. Certainly you will ride with stangers for short periods of time. But it is very nice to have a friend with you.
It's pretty easy to find a group of one's ability to ride with in a big charity event. Some of those rides have upwards of 2000 participants, on all kinds of bicycles. Believe me, there will be riders who take 6-8 hours to complete 100 km. Some riders will average 20+ mph. More will average 15-18. I would guess that the bulk of the riders will be in the 12-15 mph range, but there will still be quite a few in the 8-10 mph range.

But as far as training for it goes--I agree. Ride as much as possible with that friend.

Hey, guys, thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I figured none of this is rocket science, mostly common sense - train right and train enough. I did 25 on Sunday and 15 this morning before work. I felt like **** this morning for some reason, so 15 was all I had in me. I'm going out again in an hour or so and planning on another 15-20. Yes, the Tour de Cure at Brighton. My average speed right now is about 15.5 to 16 most rides, although I am up and down. I Do know when the original tire blew out last year on my Crosstrail, the replacement Michelins with deeper tread cut my average about 1 mph. I am going to switch to a smoother tread tire in a few weeks after danger of ice is over,

FYI, here's my 100km Tour de Cure from 2012. There are a fair amount of hills on that course, I would recommend you integrate some hill training/intervals before the event.

http://app.strava.com/activities/10435613

Chuck

good advice.
I've also jumped into cycling for daily exercise and I signed up for the Babylon Soldier Ride to benefit Wounded Warrior Project. Its only a 25 mile ride but I have been riding 21 miles per day for the last 5 days to get ready. I'll try to push for 30 miles this weekend for the heck of it. The WWP ride should be fun. Its on the 19th in Long Island, NY.

I see my times dropping as I am getting used to the distance on my daily rides. Hopefully this will lead to longer rides and some weight loss. What's been helping is using the Ride Tracker App on my Iphone. It keeps track of my rides, distance, average time/pace and GPS maps each ride.

Another friend invited me to do a Century ride later this summer, I'll see if I am up to it when the time comes. Right now, 100 miles seems like an eternity in the saddle.