Training for first 100 ride- Suggestions please

Andrepaul

Sep 15, 2004
I will be riding my first 100 mile road tour in May '06 and I'd like to know if there are some proven ways/training regieme/plans to condition my body to prepare for it.
I would like to finish strong but not necessarily competetive since I don't desire to be a racer. I just don't want to be left behind and finish last. The ride will include some moderate hills but will mostly be flat and in 85 to 95 degree F weather.

Some info about me:
1) Current miles ridden per week: 50
2) I'm 5'10", 175lbs
3) Longest ride to date: 86 miles
4) Mountains ridden without stopping: Mt. Diablo and Mt. Hamilton (CA)

Some info about my bike:
1) '05 Litespeed Ultimate

you need to add more mileage per week and work in 1 longer rider per week as well. I had been doing between 15-20 miles 4 or 5 days per week (varying between flats and hills), plus 1 longer ride. for the longer ride, I started at 25 and added 5 miles per week until I had done two 60 mile rides (including hills)before the century. also, drop your mileage the week before the ride. finally, get used to eating and drinking as you will need to, particularly if the ride is as hot as you expect.

bicycling magazine had a training plan as well with a weekly schedule based on 3 day cycles of moderate, average and intense. check it out but don't be wedded to it.

Andrepaul said:
I will be riding my first 100 mile road tour in May '06 and I'd like to know if there are some proven ways/training regieme/plans to condition my body to prepare for it.
I would like to finish strong but not necessarily competetive since I don't desire to be a racer. I just don't want to be left behind and finish last. The ride will include some moderate hills but will mostly be flat and in 85 to 95 degree F weather.

Some info about me:
1) Current miles ridden per week: 50
2) I'm 5'10", 175lbs
3) Longest ride to date: 86 miles
4) Mountains ridden without stopping: Mt. Diablo and Mt. Hamilton (CA)

Some info about my bike:
1) '05 Litespeed Ultimate