Training For First Sprint Triathlon In August - Looking For Advice

metalmancpa

Jun 11, 2015
I have never done a triathlon before. In fact, the only competitive races I've ever been in and all after the age of 50 (I'm 55 now) was a 5K run, a 5-mile run, and a Spartan Sprint which was held at Fenway Park. I will be competing in a sprint triathlon 8/16/15 - 1/2 mile swim, 14-mile bike, and 5K.

I am competing in this triathlon with my 30 year old daughter, and we plan on starting and finishing together. Right now I'm alternating running, biking, and some dumbbell training. I have yet to swim, but between the dumbbell training and Street Stand Up Paddling which is the skateboard version of SUP in the water I am getting upper body work. My issue right now is endurance. I am a year removed from an Achilles rupture (complete) which required surgery, and I definitely took steps back in my endurance. When I ran the 5K a few years ago I ran in 21:32 and was probably in the best shape of my life.

This past weekend I took a 30-mile bike ride and averaged 16.7MPH on a bike I just purchased - Specialized Sirrus. I know it isn't a race bike as I bought it for fitness and honestly wasn't planning to race (my daughter made me do it :) ). In my runs, I've been running 3-5 miles on average with an 8.5 run a few weeks ago. In those runs I've been averaging around 8:30-8:45/mile. I'm not worrying about overall time, but I am concerned about finishing respectfully and not having to pause at any time during the race for a break. In truth, I'd probably beat my daughter anyways and will stop if she has to.

Regardless I want to train as if I was trying to place in a 55 year old age bracket. Is there a certain training and diet regime starting now anyone has to offer? I have scoured the internet and have a multitude of varying ideas, but would like to see what a cycling community thinks.

Thank you.

Westborough Sprint?

Just taking a guess. You mentioned the Fenway Spartan Race (Been there, done that, thank goodness I did not have to pay for it) so I was assuming that you are in the Boston Area and I know Westborough is August. If that's the case then you are in for a great event. Sun Multisport Events puts on really well run and well supported races. I know the race director really well. Great guy, works really hard to make sure everyone has a good time.

Anyway, you are in luck. the 55+ age bracket is not heavily contested so you ALWAYS stand a chance at getting on the podium. The winner however is probably going to do the swim in about 5 minutes, the bike at about a 22mph average and the run at a 6 minute mile. So you are a little behind the power curve. It's going to be hard to contend with the still serious competitors when they are on full-on tri bikes which offer a distinct aero advantage over a Sirrus.

But you are missing the point if you are worried about the podium. Go out and have fun. At your current fitness level you should have no problem completing the sprint tri and doing so comfortably. You won't be first but you won't be last either. Go, race, learn, enjoy, have fun. Don't start worrying about nutrition and training plans and all that stuff just yet. Go and experience your first tri and THEN start making a plan for next year.

I won't be at Westborough, but I'm doing Whaling City and Cranberry (Olympic) as well as some other tri's this year.

It's at West Point, NY. My daughter is a nurse in the Army and stationed there.

I have no intention or thought of placing. Running side by side with my daughter. I plan to enjoy even though I am competitive by nature. I cannot average 22MPH on a bike, and can get under 7 minutes per mile but no where near 6.

Like you said, I'll just go out and enjoy my first tri.

Sweet! West point is one of my favorite places. I spent a summer at WP instructing Cadets, and Bear Mt. Rd is one of my favorite climbs. Cycled a lot of those roads.

Enjoy the tri. Keep doing what you are doing and you'll do well. Keep in mind, that you see all kinds of competitors at triathlons.

Reactions: metalmancpa
Just started swimming (joined the Y). Did laps Wed and this morning (1/2 mile Wed and .83 miles this morning). Yesterday did a bike/run transition - 11.4 miles bike right to a 3.25 mile run. Paced 9:25 on the run trying to take it easy, and 18.1mph on the bike.

The more I ride the bike the more I keep on telling myself I'm overall into cycling for fitness and not racing. I think averaging 18+ mph on a Sirrus (commuter bike) is pretty good, and can only wonder what I'd pace at with a bike built for speed.