Training for first time (1st time doing sport)

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Abdalrahman, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Abdalrahman

Abdalrahman New Member

Hello guys, first of all excuse my bad English it's not my main language

I was thinking about changing my life style from gaming all day all night and being a (couch potato) smoking, to be a bit healthy guys so i got the idea of buying a bicycle and start training

but i don't know how to train, i don't wanna lose weight because i'm already thin, also i wanna be able to do long distances without getting tired.

i don't know what could be a good distance to start cycling and raise it, was thinking of going college with the bike but it's 12KM (total 24km going to college and back) i don't know if i will be able to do it or not.

is there a suitable training or way to test my self?

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

2x12 km is a VERY doable distance.
    About 16 kmh is often given as the average speed for casual riding. Which means you’d be done in 45 minutes.
    For more dedicated riding, cutting travel time to 30 minutes is well within reach.
    Me, I’d be done in about 25 minutes.
    About the only challenge - once you get going - is hygiene.
    Doing 12 km w/o breaking a sweat, that IS a challenge.
    But maybe there are dressing rooms at the phys ed department that you can use.
    Or there’s always the shirt change-and-wipe down trick.
    When you start out, think TIME instead of distance.
    Your body doesn’t care how far you’ve gone, it cares about how long you’ve been at it.
    If you’re entirely unused to riding, you may need to start with as little as 10 minutes to avoid wearing your butt raw.
    So start riding around the ’hood, maybe as short as 10 minutes with a day’s rest, until you get up to 40-50 minutes.
    Use a cyclocomputer, Strava, or any smartphone map app to find out your distance. It’ll show If you’re ready to side to college.
    As far as REAL training goes, there’s too much detail there for me to go into here.
    You need to come up with some kind of definition of what your goals are. Then start doing your homework.
    I’d use a library instead of the ’net.
    On the ’net, it takes some knowledge to separate the goofballs from the ones who know what they’re talking about.

Abdalrahman likes this.