Training For Half Century Four Weeks After Sprint Triathlon

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by akmaman, Jun 3, 2015.

1. akmaman

akmaman New Member

I have faithfully followed a training 12-week training plan for a sprint triathlon that I will do in 10 days. This will be my third sprint triathlon and second one this year so I am in decent shape for this sort of race. A friend has talked me into doing a half century bike ride race in exactly four weeks after the triathlon. I have a decent road bike, clip-in shoes and a good bike computer with cadence. I have time to put in several rides during the week and one long ride on the weekends. I also have a trainer for my bike that I can use at home. My longest bike ride on this bike has only been 20 miles with most rides averaging about 12 miles. However, I have never ridden to the point of exhaustion, I was just following the triathlon training plan.

Any advice for how I should train in the weeks between the triathlon and the half century? I can only find 8 or 12 week training plans starting from scratch. I am not out to set any time records, just finish the race and be able to drive myself home afterwards. I've already signed up and paid so there's no point in telling me I shouldn't do it - too late now :)

Tags:

2. ABNPFDR

ABNPFDR Member

I'd do a progressively longer ride each weekend, 25 miles, 35 miles and then 40 miles. Ride comfortable rides during the week.

Most reasonably fit people can ride 60-65 miles without much training. You should be fine.

akmaman likes this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I admire athletes who have the patience to undergo such training. One time I had met a guy who was to compete in an iron man competition. He related that training for that event is like punishing yourself. He mentioned PRT - progressive resistance training. From what I remember, it is the type of training where you increase the activity little by little. Like in cycling, you cycle at speeds of 20 and the next day it would be 22 and then 24 and so forth.

That PRT is also applicable for exercise to gain strength even if you are not an athlete.

akmaman likes this.
  4. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Go out and plan on riding for about 3 hours and see how far you get. If you're unsure of your capabilities, try and finish with a loop somewhat close to home. Take it easier than you normally ride for the first hour.

Eat and drink well before you leave and take a couple of large bottles of water with you. Some food is also recommended. I like banana and Lara bars (very moist, easy to chew and swallow and have a ton on calories for their size)

akmaman likes this.