Training For Last Man Out And Points Races

habg

Feb 8, 2004
I have spent a lot of time looking for books, articles, web pages or any source to learn about the training methods and strategies to prepare the last man out and points races on the track.
These are very comlicated and highly demanding races but looks like nobody publish or share information on this specific topic.
Could somebody help me?

Regards

Hugo

You gotta do 'em and find out what kinda rider you are which may take YEARS!

For those races it's MORE important ride the road.

intervals. intervals. intervals.

for crits I like to do "over-unders" which is 5 minutes at just below TT pace and 1 minute just below kilo pace. (right, the TT part is the "rest" phase)

for Points race I'd shorten the TT phase to 3 minutes and the Kilo phase to 30-45 seconds, while making only the kilo phase slightly more intense. (you won't be able to do them if you increase the intensity of both.) Make sure you can do 3-5 and adjust accordingly--if you can do seven increase the intensity of both phases.

I also like 20/40s (seconds) with easy pedalling for the 40 second rest.

And then you need a pure sprinting drill on the road (or track) On a 3 mile loop (for example) locate 3 sprints at equal distance around the loop. Vary the distances from 200-400 meters. The space between sprints should allow for complete shortterm recovery. Do one loop and then do a rest loop. Repeat. Throw in some powerstarts.

All the above assumes a substantial training base. --erbiv

erblackiv said:
intervals. intervals. intervals.

for crits I like to do "over-unders" which is 5 minutes at just below TT pace and 1 minute just below kilo pace. (right, the TT part is the "rest" phase)

for Points race I'd shorten the TT phase to 3 minutes and the Kilo phase to 30-45 seconds, while making only the kilo phase slightly more intense. (you won't be able to do them if you increase the intensity of both.) Make sure you can do 3-5 and adjust accordingly--if you can do seven increase the intensity of both phases.

I also like 20/40s (seconds) with easy pedalling for the 40 second rest.

And then you need a pure sprinting drill on the road (or track) On a 3 mile loop (for example) locate 3 sprints at equal distance around the loop. Vary the distances from 200-400 meters. The space between sprints should allow for complete shortterm recovery. Do one loop and then do a rest loop. Repeat. Throw in some powerstarts.

All the above assumes a substantial training base. --erbiv
-What kind of road training/miles are you doing now?
-Are you currently racing these events?
-during the race, can you see where you are currently defficient, i.e. bridging to breaks, attacking, overall endurance?
-are you racing with a club or team at present?

To be proficient in these events you would follow a similar program to all track endurance racers.....does your local club offer coaching for pursuiting, scratch races etc?

ed073 said:
-What kind of road training/miles are you doing now?
-Are you currently racing these events?
-during the race, can you see where you are currently defficient, i.e. bridging to breaks, attacking, overall endurance?
-are you racing with a club or team at present?

To be proficient in these events you would follow a similar program to all track endurance racers.....does your local club offer coaching for pursuiting, scratch races etc?

I don't keep track of miles, I keep track of hours. During 'maintenace' times of year I can generally get by with 10 hours a week. From midwinter to early spring I move it up to 20 hours. I currently race crits, road races and TT's on the road and make at least one trip a year to the track, usually Masters National Championships. I'm current Masters National Champion in the 3K pursuit for the 45-49 age group. I was fifth in Kilo, and fifth in the Points Race. Second in the BAR. In the Points Race I was up against US Postal Masters team members Larry Nolan, Glen Winkel, and Peter Lewis. I had the chance to lock up second and made the mistake of hoping for first. Teamwork in a points race makes a difference.

My weakness is sprinting. And on the road, climbing and sprinting.

I spend three weeks in January doing mega miles which I graduate into and graduate out of by increasing intensity and decreasing miles/hours.

I live 9 hours away from the nearest track. I'm a member of a club, but none of my teammates race track. For pursuit, I do a specific motor pacing workout.......and practice 3Ks and 4Ks on a Cateye CS1000-- erbiv

erblackiv said:
I don't keep track of miles, I keep track of hours. During 'maintenace' times of year I can generally get by with 10 hours a week. From midwinter to early spring I move it up to 20 hours. I currently race crits, road races and TT's on the road and make at least one trip a year to the track, usually Masters National Championships. I'm current Masters National Champion in the 3K pursuit for the 45-49 age group. I was fifth in Kilo, and fifth in the Points Race. Second in the BAR. In the Points Race I was up against US Postal Masters team members Larry Nolan, Glen Winkel, and Peter Lewis. I had the chance to lock up second and made the mistake of hoping for first. Teamwork in a points race makes a difference.

My weakness is sprinting. And on the road, climbing and sprinting.

I spend three weeks in January doing mega miles which I graduate into and graduate out of by increasing intensity and decreasing miles/hours.

I live 9 hours away from the nearest track. I'm a member of a club, but none of my teammates race track. For pursuit, I do a specific motor pacing workout.......and practice 3Ks and 4Ks on a Cateye CS1000-- erbiv
Sounds like you could work in some interval training like the dude above says....these will certainly help with your sprinting and recovery. I also found that lower gear 100% sprint efforts on the road helped develop "snap" as well as sprinting over short rises in the road in a lower gear.....concentrating on leg speed and efficiency of action.

I like the motorpacing.....keep that up as it is THE BEST race simulator. Couple of hours behind the moped at 45-50kmh will bring you up for sure.

9 hours to the track....that sux. The track I started racing on was a 5 minute biek ride from my school!!

Good luck....you've got some good results there.

For points racing I believe nothing works like race simulation through motorpacing. One of the hardest workouts I do is riding behind the moto for 3 laps at 30mph, 4th lap is sprint lap at 36-40mph, pass the bike in the last 200meters, drive hard to the finish line. The bike slows back down to 30mph, get back on and repeat as many times as you can. I do this on a 400meter oval. If you're on a shorter track obviously adjust number of laps between sprints.

Another one I do is a building interval of 6-10 laps behind the moto. Starting at 30mph and increasing the speed 1-2 miles per hour per lap. Ending up running flat out to the line as the bike pulls away in the last 200 meters. Recover, stretch, get some water, and line up again!

As for the elimination, I'm still working on that one. I've found the first half of that race (or until there are about 10 guys left, all depending on track characterics, blah) it's key to be very alert, find good holes, stay near the front but not on it, don't get pinned in near the bottom, etc. Don't get eliminated through finess, not muscle. Then the second half it's a grinder. On our track we usually pull until 5 are left and then sprint. I can usually make the final cut but am so toasted I end up fifth.

Just my thoughts,

Leif

Hi Lief,

Excellent post. Great sounding workouts. I've done motorpaced sprints behind, and then around, a scooter on the road, but the faster sprint lap in a good specific excercise for Points Race.

We're rumored to be getting a track in Charlotte in the next year or two--the owner of Lowe's Motor Speedway is a bicycle enthusiast and, we're hoping, velodrome "angel."

Now all you need is Bill Gates to get into track racing and build you something decent out there. --Bob

erblackiv said:
Hi Lief,

Now all you need is Bill Gates to get into track racing and build you something decent out there. --Bob

It's a shame that of all the people with big money in Seattle their are no cycling enthusiasts. Our track is okay and we've actually come into some money lately so the track scene is strengthening. But with all the rain we get up here we could use a small indoor track. Good luck with the Charlotte track. I believe there should always be a track no further than 3 hours from anywhere! Maybe someday.

I'd also like to add that if you don't have the luxury of a motorcycle and driver (which I often times don't) it's wise to hit the track when the other fast guys are out there training. No way can I simulate race efforts by myself. I need to be pushed by stronger guys. And if there aren't any stronger guys then train with weaker guys and try to hurt them! It's actually quite satisfying :p and they should appreciate it.

These are just some specific workouts I do in the weeks leading up to the start of competition and whenever I get the chance to do them throughout the season. A typical in-competition week I do a session at the track like this early in the week, race Friday, Go long Sunday on the road and throw in a recovery ride or two on the road to round it out.

Leif

I realize this is not a typical race track at 1.5kms with an uphill/downhill, but it will be a race on a small course that will feel like track racing.....

I'll be doing my 1st points race at the enf of Feb. What training I need to do will have to be done over the next 4 or 5 weeks.

The system will be 1.5km laps X 5 (7.5km) Points for each lap you win. a 30 minute break then do it again X 5 times. Total 37.5km

The course is mostly downhill for 1km then a sharp 500m sprint uphill to the finish. I like this course and finish well up the hill, but I'm not sure if I can handle repeated sprints or an all out 7.5km sprint.

As I know the course so well (probably done 200 laps on it in 2004) I can simulate interval training on a roller.

Any tips?

I'm doing this race mostly for sprint training and don't expect to win, but I don't want to be dropped either.

Sorry t bring this old thread to the top again....

My personal favorite is what I call short intervals, tt pace for 200m, sprint 100m - rest 100m x5 then 200m tt pace, repeat 4 to five times over a ride.

I believe the races you refere to are effected mainly by recovery...so intervals intervals intervals....

leifclarke said:
For points racing I believe nothing works like race simulation through motorpacing. One of the hardest workouts I do is riding behind the moto for 3 laps at 30mph, 4th lap is sprint lap at 36-40mph, pass the bike in the last 200meters, drive hard to the finish line. The bike slows back down to 30mph, get back on and repeat as many times as you can. I do this on a 400meter oval. If you're on a shorter track obviously adjust number of laps between sprints.

Leif

Leif, what gear are you typically riding during the above motorpacing? Thanks.

leifclarke said:
It's a shame that of all the people with big money in Seattle their are no cycling enthusiasts. Our track is okay and we've actually come into some money lately so the track scene is strengthening. But with all the rain we get up here we could use a small indoor track. Good luck with the Charlotte track. I believe there should always be a track no further than 3 hours from anywhere! Maybe someday.

I'd also like to add that if you don't have the luxury of a motorcycle and driver (which I often times don't) it's wise to hit the track when the other fast guys are out there training. No way can I simulate race efforts by myself. I need to be pushed by stronger guys. And if there aren't any stronger guys then train with weaker guys and try to hurt them! It's actually quite satisfying :p and they should appreciate it.

These are just some specific workouts I do in the weeks leading up to the start of competition and whenever I get the chance to do them throughout the season. A typical in-competition week I do a session at the track like this early in the week, race Friday, Go long Sunday on the road and throw in a recovery ride or two on the road to round it out.

Leif
Leif, I'm from Seattle too and presume you race at Marymoor. You should try making the drive north and racing up here at the Burnaby Velodrome some time. It's a 200m 45 degree banked wood track located just east of Vancouver. Great racing scene, and best of all the racing's not affected by the weather:D ...

I only race sprint events unless I am just having fun. I can usually hang around on a miss and out and once in a while am there at the end too. In a points race , I am fodder. I think the two events are very different. The guys that I see winning points races also race lots of crits , ride plenty of road miles and train lots of intervals. BTW www.fixedgearfever.com

well from my experience the absolute most important part of your training is to get a good strong base. all of ur riding from october to february should be long base miles. as far as specific training for the points races, it really depends on what kind of points racer you are. I am more of a breakaway kinda guy, so my training was 1-2 km intervals with really little rest time in between. people tell you all the time to pace urself thru these, but if u wanna win races ur gonna have to push urself way beyond in training in order to race to that level.
this plan worked out really well for me actually. i won the jr nationals points race this year by 30 points-woo hoo!