Training For Last Man Out And Points Track Cycling

habg

Feb 8, 2004
I have spent a lot of time looking for books, articles, web pages or any source to learn about the training methods and strategies to prepare the last man out and points races on the track.
These are very comlicated and highly demanding races but looks like nobody publish or share information on this specific topic.
Could somebody help me?

Regards

Hugo

Let me know what you find. I plan on track racing this season.

Most likely, the training is about the same as road riding. Build great aerobic fitness, and then work on sprinting on top of that.

Originally posted by habg
I have spent a lot of time looking for books, articles, web pages or any source to learn about the training methods and strategies to prepare the last man out and points races on the track.
These are very comlicated and highly demanding races but looks like nobody publish or share information on this specific topic.
Could somebody help me?

Regards

Hugo

Work on your V02 max, your AT - applies across the board for all endurance cycle racing.

Be specific with sprint endurance intervals. 10 seconds hard sprint with 50 seconds spin rest. Can be carried out on an indoor trainer. Start with (say) 6 reps by 3 sets with 5 minute rests between sets and build to 10x5.

Strategy. Stay close to the front and ride on the rider's hip so as not to be boxed in. Keep the pace up so as to avoid attacks. (Last man out or elimination races)

Points racing. Experience and knowing the quality of your opposition.

Try lactate stacking sessions too! Like 5 x 30 seconds on (sprinting) 30 seconds to 1 minute off (recovering).

As with VF, work on your LT and VO2max.