Training for mountains . . . on flat land

TourdeForce2424

Nov 25, 2003
Anyone know how you can train for mountain-like terrain when you live in flat areas? I'm open to any suggestions, be it on a trainer or anything. Can it be done simply by adding as much resistance as possible? Elevating the front wheel on a trainer? Will this give the same benefits of training on mountainous terrain? I'm sure someone would know, as not everyone can live near mountains. Thanks.

I'm sure you'll hear it from more than one source...HEADWINDS!

I can't tell you how many "flat landers" have put the hurt on me during a climb. So, next time you've got that massive headwind - forget the aero position, open that chest up and start riding like you were in the Alps. Relax your body, catch all the wind resistance you can and start climbing.

And think of the great speedwork you get on the way back home.

luck,
michael

living in one of the windiest cities in the world (just come and ride down the freeway bike path near the swan river!) i can only say, "so true" to the above comment. Wind is fantastic as a training tool and you get to break the speed limit on the way home. Couldnt ask for more!!

I second (or third ) all the comment about getting a lot of headwind to imitate hill climbs. Another thing you can also do is, use a resistance trainer. I use it when I am scheduled to ride on the hills but family life won't allow it. I try to imagine myself taking the same route (I check my HR monitor when I ride so I know how long it takes to go here or there and my HR) and push the same (or close enough) effort like I would on the climbs.

Put me down for the headwinds as well. I was on slight downhill the other day that I usually decend at about 34mph, the wind was howling and I was working just to get to 19mph. It was then that I understood how those gaps in the peloton ( spelling? ) during the Vuelta opened so fast when the wind picked up.

Why not just create your own headwind by using big gears at a cadence similar to what you'd get when spinning? To me, 180 bpm is 180 bpm whether it's uphill, flat, downhill. Yeah, OK, so your body position is a little different, but it just can't make that much difference can it? This assumes that you don't coast any more than you would when going uphill. A fit flatland rider who has never seen a headwind should be as fast uphill as someone equally fit who only climbs. I think we're splitting hairs when we talk about the differences. Kind of like 'climbing wheels' vs. other wheels. C'mon.