Training for next season....

GeoSpectrum

Sep 24, 2013
I've recently , one year ago, started up again after a 20 year lay off. This year I have started road racing racing again and am pleased with my progress so far but I feel I have some way to go yet before improvements start to slow down and I get nearer to my potential. I recon on that taking another year or so. I do have a bit of a dilemma though, in that at the moment have plenty of time for training but little opportunity to race so I'm already thinking about what I can do this year that will bring benefits next year and beyond. I have one race lat the end of June, and then three at the beginning of September and that is it. I start semi retirement at the and if the year ( age 52) so next season will have time for training and racing as I'll be moving back to my home in the UK. What would people do in the same position? I'm thinking about just getting in as many hours at z2/3 as possible between now and the end of the year in order to build overall strength and endurance, and worry about the high intensity stuff in January? Or is there a better way? I want to build my FTP (currently 270-280) up to +300w for the next season, and I'll be setting other training goals to keep me motivated,but don't really want to spend the whole year doing just intervals without the racing to motivate me Any thoughts?

Long rides. From time to time hit the hills hard. From time to time hit the flats hard. Try to keep your heart rate up.