Training for the Iron Horse Classic

xiaochou

Aug 24, 2004
Hello All,
I am very new to cycling (2 months) and have started training for a small race from Durango to Silverton (Colorado) called the IronHorse Classic. This trek involves about 47 miles and 5,000 plus feet of vertical climb.
I have started training on my mountain bike (32 pounds, big knobby tires) doing 12-20 mile rides 3-4 times a week. I average about 17 mph unless I'm taking it easy. I'm not a little guy: about 200 lbs. but plan on losing about 10 of that.
My question is this: Assuming the impending purchase of an actual road bike, what type of training would be beneficial to that sort of race? I'm planning on doing a lot of hill work in the Spring but have the winter to continue building my base....
Any suggestions?
Chad

Hmmm. Perhaps I should pose the question in another category? Absolutely no response here. ??

as many miles as you can get in, if all you do is 15-20 mile rides 3 or 4 times a week, when it come to doing that 47 mile ride it will be quite tough on you. Work your way up though. Shoot for 80 miles a week at first, and then add 5 miles to your week total each passing week. By the time spring comes you'll be doing close to 200 miles a week and should be in excellent form for the ride. If you don't have the time to get in that many miles (time) per week then i would suggest do a lot of hill training. It will all come down to though, the more miles you get in before the race the better shape you'll be in. You can train via watts or heart rate and if you're interested in that there are many threads on that subject.

Smnw10,
Thanks for the advice. I am already building mileage, but trying not to build too fast. Since the race is at the end of May, I'm hoping to have April and most of May to try and reach peak condition. Until then, I'm going to go off many others' suggestions (which, not coincidentally, are in agreement with yours) and put in all the miles I can.
I'm really looking forward to it and even now have a little bit of excited anxiousness....

i just looked up that race online and it's one that my friend does every year. This past May his time was 2h 44m for the 47 miles, he's a CAT4 racer and finished top 25% of the field. I remember him saying it's a really fun race but at the same time quite difficult. You should probably try to find the biggest hill (if not a mountain) near you and see what it's like to ride a sustained incline for 5, 6, 7 miles or longer. It's very intimidating but when you reach the top of those climbs nothing feels better!

Finding a hill won't be a problem (I live in Denver). I was guessing that some of the longer climbs is what I need to get some experience in. I think just making it up them will be a challenge at first (given my weight/inexperience) but should prove managable by Spring.
Also, I'm told that switching over from MTN bike to road bike is like night and day but not to expect too much in the way of speed changes (maybe 15% or so more at best).