Training for the Pyrenees

sdorrity

Dec 31, 2003
Here is an interesting problem.

we are going down to the pyrenees in September to do the coast to coast, 720Km & 10,000M of Climbing or thereabouts.

Here is the problem I live on an Island 7x6x5 miles, max height 330ft How am I going to train?

I know I am going to need some time in the saddle but should I be looking at some weight training to compensate for the lack of hills?

Any input gratefully received.

Regards

Steve D

You can sort of simulate climbing on a stationary trainer by increasing resistance and proping up the front wheel. But there's no substitute for actually getting out and riding hills. The problem w/ your location is that you can't possibly have an extended climb of over 6 miles (10 km). Is it easy to get off of your island and train on the mainland? Have no idea where you are from, so it's really hard to give you any more specific suggestions. You might want to check out this thread:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79399

Also, what kind of shape are you in? That will be a big factor on climbs. If you're fit and 73 kg, then the climbs won't be so bad. If you're 90 kilos, you will be enduring a major sufferfest for a good part of the 720 km.

Maybe not much for training, but if that is a tropical island, I could probably get used to it!!! I'm seeing beaches, coconuts, and lots of sun! Awwww, what a nice thought!

Originally posted by jmcmillanut
The problem w/ your location is that you can't possibly have an extended climb of over 6 miles (10 km).

er no I'd fall off the edge!

Is it easy to get off of your island and train on the mainland? Have no idea where you are from, so it's really hard to give you any more specific suggestions.

Guernsey in the Channel Islands which is between France and the UK I will be getting off to do some training I really wondered if some cross training such as weights would help

.... If you're 90 kilos, you will be enduring a major sufferfest for a good part of the 720 km.

UH OH! have we met?

I'm around 90 kilos (but dropping slowly) and a fairly muscular build but mostly upper body (lots of sea kayaking) I should be able to drop 7 Kg without too much trouble but I haven't been under 80Kg for a long time.

I have been to the pyrenees before for my 40th birthday but that was fully loaded touring and we only did 4 cols. ISTR saying that I would never, ever do the col du tourmalet again, how quickly we forget! This trip is supported.

Thanks for the input

Steve D

Originally posted by ccorrick
Maybe not much for training, but if that is a tropical island, I could probably get used to it!!! I'm seeing beaches, coconuts, and lots of sun! Awwww, what a nice thought!

No, more wind lashed and sub tropical very sub tropical well OK sub arctic then

At the moment its cold (6degC), wet and windy, which is a pretty normal winter around here. We are far enough from land (20 miles off France) to get very mild weather not too cold in the winter and not too warm in the summer.

Its a great place to live and bring up kids but one does get dizzy doing long distances round the coast.

Regards

Steve D

Originally posted by sdorrity
I'm around 90 kilos (but dropping slowly) and a fairly muscular build but mostly upper body (lots of sea kayaking) I should be able to drop 7 Kg without too much trouble but I haven't been under 80Kg for a long time.

Thanks for the input

Steve D

I'm 90 kilos myself. Before I got back into (better) bike shape (about 8 kilos ago), I had a heck of a time w/ climbs, especially the long, mountainous ones here in Utah (I am by no means a fast climber, but I can pass some riders). When I got my Orbea last July, a 100km ride kicked my butt. But by the end of the summer I rode a single day 300 km race through parts of Utah, Idaho and Wyoming (I was just happy to finish). It doesn't take too long to condition yourself to hilly/mountainous terrain. You just have to keep riding in it.

Your trip sounds like a blast. And having support is great too. Train hard and have lots of fun.

Regards,
James

52x13 into a headwind. Don't coast for even a moment. Although your island is so small (I didn't know Guernsey was THAT small), doing laps isn't much different that riding a stationary trainer!!!

Originally posted by Aztec
52x13 into a headwind. Don't coast for even a moment. Although your island is so small (I didn't know Guernsey was THAT small), doing laps isn't much different that riding a stationary trainer!!!

Ok I might have been exagerating a little its about 25 miles around the coast road, the problem is mainly getting some decent climbing in, last Time I went down to the Pyrenees I deliberatly took "hilly" routes for ages in training but it just doesn't compare with 15-20Kms of 10% in one go.

I'll try working up to higher gears to build on strength, got to look after these middle aged knees tho' ;)

thanks

Steve D