Training for Time Trials

Shades

Jan 13, 2006
hi,
Im 35 and have cycled for 10 yrs at recreational level, but so far not followed any structured training plan. I've recently been trying a few time trials, enjoying it but getting very ordinary times ( PB for a 10 mile= 26mins: 40 secs). I would like to do some quality taining over the Winter to improve my 10-mile TT.

I'd like to do four quality sessins per week. I've recently read about interval training and "tempo training" ; got myself a heart rate monitor and an indoor trainer. I've now got a good feeling for my heart rate zones.

I will get some "base" miles in first, then move onto tempo/intervals around Feb/March. I've a few questions and really appreciate any advice:

1. I was wondering on your weekly training schedule e.g. 1 day long slow ride, 2 days intervals on a turbo ( shorts and longs?) , 1 day tempo e.t.c..what's yours?

2. Where to start with intervals? My threshold heart rate is around 175. I hear 2X20 mins at threshold recommended, supplemented with shorter 1 minute intervals above threshold on another day.

3. I do a lot of mountain biking. My heart rate varies widely in a typical ride, from 120bpm right up to above my threshold (> 175). So how would that fit into my winter schedule. Would you count that as a tempo or fartlek ride? Should I drop or continue the MBiking?

Thanks - sorry for the log post.

There's lots of good advice on this forum as you have no doubt seen but working out what works for you is another matter entirely. For example, depending on what you mean by "base miles" that may or may not be a good thing. If you are talking about lots of long slow stuff, then that's prob not much use.

Have you considered hiring a coach? OK I'm biased since I'm a coach but in reality I was not dissimilar to yourself many years ago and it was coaching that really turned my cycling world around. That and a power meter ;).

Hi,

I can't aford a coach.
I mean "base miles" in the conventional sense used by most club cyclists. I build up a milage base cycling 2-5 hrs once a week at a steady pace ( 18 mph, heart rate zone 2/3 e.t.c) That set's a base for more intense training.

As an intermediate, recreational cyclist I usually up the pace around Spring, but until now it's all been on feel. I have never done structured, progressive, measured training before. Introducing some interval training on a turbo and/or tempo rides ( tempo seems a general term i now) seems to be the way to go. So I'm really looking for basic rules, advice on where to start. e.g. 5 mins at LT, increase number of intervals? increase time of intervals? . 2X20 mins at LT gets mentioned alot.