Training from start to MS 150

lcarey2

Jan 2, 2006
I am a newbie in several ways. I have very little cycling experience but I am trying to gain more every day. I have registered for the MS 150 - a 180 mile ride from Houston to Austin which takes place in April. I'm looking for advice on where to start my training from the point of someone who has never ridden more than 9 miles at a time. Any recommendations on books, web sites, etc... that could help me develop a training schedule would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Lara

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (and had a blast). :) That was 7 MS150's ago for me, and I ended up enjoying cycling so much that I've just joined a race team last year.

If you're like I was, you're more concerned with your ability to ride 100 miles in a day than any care about how fast you finish. The key there is to start acquiring some time in the saddle. Don't worry about how far you ride at first, just get on the bike 3-4 times a week for at least 30-min and start getting your butt, back and neck accustomed to the riding position. Get a pair of biking shorts immediately! Concentrate on keeping your upper body relaxed, changing hand positions periodically, and spinning along without mashing hard on the pedals. Many beginners will try to start out in too hard a gear, which will lead to muscle (and possibly tendon or joint) soreness. It shouldn't feel hard to push the pedals around, after all you're going to have to do it for an entire day. As you're initially getting accustomed to riding, you'll also want to listen to your body and look for any acute pain which could mean a bicycle that is not properly adjusted to you. If this happens (anywhere but in your butt), then you might want to have a local bike store or an experienced rider check the fit of your bike and your riding position. Will you be riding a road bike, mountain bike, or hybrid?

After your are able to comfortably ride 3-4 times a week, then you can start increasing the mileage on 1 or 2 of those rides. Try increasing the mileage of your longer rides by about 10% per week. Make sure you are taking water with you on these longer rides (and food for rides longer than 1.5 hours). About 1 bottle per hour is a good thumbrule in warm weather, and I'd say a energy bar per ~1.5-2 hours. Get used to eating and drinking during your rides, because if you get dehydrated or bonk, it's very hard to recover. The MS150 will pretty much be a series of 10-mile rides, so feel free to take short breaks during the longer rides if necessary. It might be a good idea to keep a training journal where you record the time, mileage, speed, etc. on your training rides. This will help you appreciate your progress and keep you motivated. There are also organized MS150 training rides during the months before the ride, and I encourage you to join those and talk to others in your area who have ridden before or are newbies like yourself. Your local MS150 chapter will have information on the where's and when's. When you can get to the point that you can ride 60 miles at one time in training, you'll be able to do 100 on the day of the ride. At that point, just keep up your training routine until the day of the event, and have fun.

Let us know if you have any specific questions, and tell us how it went. Good luck!

Thank you SO much for all the great advice! I really appreciate it. And thanks for helping me relax a bit about this. I already have cycling shorts, 3 pair now, I have a Trek 7300 hybrid (no nobby tires) my brother in law who rides the MS 150 every year said I'd be fine. I know how to change tubes, use C02 cartridges and I bought a new helmet. I have a computer to track mileage and speed. I'd still like to get a camelbak and maybe another jersey or two. A friend gave me an indoor trainer and I tried that today for the first time with a Spinervals DVD I got for Christmas - kicked my butt but I liked it. Some days will be strength training instead of distance cycling because I can't always shake my two small children so I'll have to pull them in the trailer if I want to ride at all. I know it can be done, and hoping the training will help me shed some weight so I won't have to pull that across the finish line.

It's doubly rewarding when you can support a great cause and reap the personal benefits like weight loss and improved health as well.

Don't worry too much about working your butt off to Spinervals DVDs at this stage, the last thing you want now is to dread having to ride or get discouraged about how hard cycling can be. Time in the saddle is what you need now, so spinning easily along barely breaking a sweat for an hour a night while you watch your favorite TV shows will do just fine and give your legs and knees a chance to adjust gradually. If you enjoy the Spinervals, then try it maybe once a week for a nice change of pace and to work off some stress. You can also play games with regular TV shows to keep things more interesting, like picking up the pace during commercial breaks or something to that effect.

Not much else to add to French's post. Saw the comment about the kids and just had to respond .. I did my first MS 150 this past year (wasn't new to riding like you); it was beautiful. Will do it again and again and again. I think you'll end up enjoying it too. At first, I was just doing it for the ride. In the end, the memories I had of the donations and helping those in need was really what stuck in my mind. The icing was that I got to ride 150 miles for a good cause .. and with a bunch of people whom I'd never met before ..

But I saw a guy pulling his 2 kids along for the ride. He didn't do the longest route, but it was very cool to see. You might consider doing that ..

Oh no! not taking the kids on this one :) I'm doing this for me and because my dad had MS for 32 years before he died in 1999. I've thought about it for several years but I'm finally going to do it. The Spinervals is really just for those days when I can't get out because of weather or kids or whatever. I'll be doing some cross training also so I don't get bored. Getting in shape in general will help with the cycling. I'm hoping to get a long ride in this week for the first time, both kids will be in school so I'll have some time to myself to get distance and not strength.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

So your one of the 11,000 + that has registered already for the ride, congrats. Just to add, the recommended rides are a lot of fun and a great way to get used to longer miles and large group rides before you set off with 13,000 unknowns on the way to La Grange and Austin. Here's the link:

http://www.ms150.org/ms150/riding/recommended_rides.cfm

Of coarse you don't need to do all of these rides. If your in Houston let me know and I can point you to some regular group rides that would be appropriate for beginners as well.

Just checking the MS150 website they are up to 12,576 and only have 424 spots left, wow!

David

Thanks David. I'm actually in the Dallas area but the Richardson Bike Mart here does rides every weekend plus a class on group riding etiquette for beginners. I'm hoping to join on the beginners ride in a couple weeks, can't do it this weekend and judging from the info they gave me I'm not even ready for the 14 mile beginner ride yet. Their average speed is much faster than mine currently. I'm working on that though. I know I'll be ready by April (man I hope so) but I'm surely not ready now.