which way do you train and why?

• heart rate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • power meter

Votes: 20 100.0%

• Total voters

poolmouse

Nov 3, 2003
just curious...i'm a long time cyclist/runner/skater and am starting to come back from an ankle injury and a very long recovery (six years and two surgeries).

i'm used to training by heart rate...but some folks say power meter training is better for cycling.

of course power meter triaining is sport specific so it wouldn't help my running/skating, but i was wondering what the group concensis is on which gadget is better for training...what do you guys think?

thanks,
poolmouse

I actually use both indoors and only HR outdoors That's only because I really don't want to instrument my bike to that degree. I have a hard enough time just getting the computer and HR monitor running at the start of the ride. Thanks, I'll do my power stuff indoors where it's boring and I need something else to occupy my mind.

If I could carry a very small and light device that would allow GPS tracking and HR monitoring that's what I'd go for. With something like that implanted in me somewhere satellites could help me record my routes, wattages, altitude changes, and speeds. Plus my wife would have piece of mind knowing she could check the internet any time to see where I am and about what time to expect me back home.

but that's not what this thread's about.

I use a HR monitor.

When I come up with the scratch I will be getting a power meter!

I also use a HR monitor.

It has really helped my running times and cycling endurance.

Power if you have time to trin decently en can aford it, but for most levels HR will get you along decently