training heart-rate zone

madammolecular

May 3, 2006
Please,tell me which is the best heart-rate zone for training in percentage? i spend most time in 80-90% of mhr when i am on hilly roads(gradient of descent 10% and less).
can i improve my shape and endurance in this zone,or i should stick in 70-80% of my mhr.
i spend a lot of time above 80% of mhr on a flat roads, too.i started to ride 2weeks ago, and have had 8 trinings since then.
how many training days are needed for some visible improvment(monitoring heart work and speed).
my cadence is about 100 (less or more for a few rpm),and my average speed is about 19ml/h.today i had hilly part about 3 miles with a gradient of descent 8 %,and have had average speed 13.15 ml/h.can u tell me is it to bad,or what.(almost all the way i was at 90-95% of my mhr)

If you're really limited in terms of time, then you will want to target your "sweet spot" intensity, which is between high Zone2, and Zone4. You can see the basics of it here:

http://www.fascatcoaching.com/sweetspot.html

For me, I know it to be at about 90-95% of FTP. If you are spending, as you say, a large amount of time between 80-95% of MHR then you are doing really well. The trick for you from what you have said will be to sometimes ride at a very low intensity. In other words, from what you have said, I am somewhat dubious about your recovery.

Also, you should clearly define your goals as a rider, and then either purchase a good training book (Carmichael's, Friel's, or Coggan's), or get yourself a coach. These things will greatly enhance your experience on the bike.

Good luck with it.

thank U
yes,it seems that i am doing well but ,i think that beside my cadence and LT tolerance i m still a little bit slow.i want to start with short races(40km).here in serbia is not everything so well organized,u can not buy guide book or it is too expencive.even clubs are different...and finally so small number of raceing girls(maybe 10-15 in whole country).
i figured that it is maybe just matter of training and time,that i have to built musscles(my height is 65.9 inch ,and 106lbs weight).
first race(25th of the march) is with open character,open enterance for recreative riders, so i ll try...