Training Help For Novice Please

Midton

Apr 4, 2010
I've been reading through the forums and am feeling a little bit overwhelmed with the information. I could really do with some simplified advice.

I am 43, bought a bike (long haul trucker) last year and this year have the bug. I have always been active and probably have a high-ish overall fitness. At present I can only really ride on a Sunday so on Sundays I choose a mountain and ride there and back. My Sunday jaunts are probably about 4/5 hours in the saddle and around 100k or so. Going out (and up the mountains) I average from 14 to 18kph and coming back around 24 to 27kph. I think my cadence is in the 60s.

From Monday to Friday I hit the gym every day. I alternate days between weight training and using a stationary bike (I've only started using the bike about 2/3 weeks ago). It is my usage of the gym bike that I would like some advice with, though any advice would be appreciated.

When I use the bike at the gym I set the level and then basically ride for 90 minutes. I do at least 20 minutes at level 8 (not that that means much) and then do the remainder at level 7. My heart rate is around 142. My cadence is between 68 (when sitting up straight)and 82 (when crouching). I crouch for 20 to 50 calories then sit straight for 20 calories. My wattage is normally in the low 170s but sometimes I sprint for 10/20 seconds or so and get the wattage up and just over 200. I will be saturated in sweat by the end of this workout.

The "it's killing me but" thread was recommended to me and I had a look but don't really know what L4, L5, L6 are and how to use these with interval training. If I am using the gym bike 3 times a week, every second day, what kind of training should I be doing to try to get a steady improvement in my cycling fitness.

I guess I don't know what L4 is and how long I should ride at this level and how often. Does 3 x 20 mean that I should stop and if so why is it not better to just ride for an hours? I better stop before my ignorance embarasses me any more.

My weight generally varies from 86 to 88kg.

Any help appreciated.

I would just say that if you are using the spin bike to get fitter id recommend a higher cadence , somewhere between 80-100 works better for me. Maybe drop the level if necessary then do your efforts every 5 or 10 minutes in a higher level, same/higher cadence after a decent warm up for maybe 1-2Min's each.

http://www.pushingbikes.com