Training @ Home?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by vladimir102, Oct 5, 2003.

1. vladimir102

vladimir102 New Member

I work sometimes and do not have time to ride and when i get home because it's dark. I would like any info on riding at my house. Should i get something my bike hooks up to or is a stationary bike a good way to train. Also i know there are trainers and rollers. Are these the best way to go and what is better. Also would they be useful in improving my strength and stamina and could i ride on one for a couple hours. any help is appreciated.

Tags:

2. Vector7

Vector7 New Member

If you're looking to spend some meaningful time in the saddle at home...go with rollers. It feels the most natural when riding for any length of time.

Best Wishes,
    Vector7

3. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Trainers give you resistance so that you can do a variety of workouts. Intervals are particularly good for turbo trainers.

4. Shibumi

Shibumi New Member

Don't buy an exercise bike! You want to get used to your own bike and it's saddle/position etc.

Don't get rollers! Buy a turbo trainer. You can spend longer on a turbo - you can read without falling off (!) or better still get a Tacx i-magic and ride in virtual reality (for an extra $300). You can also vary the resistance on a turbo.

5. Vector7

Vector7 New Member

I disagree about not buying rollers. Rollers help any true technician learn balance, control, and concentrated pedal stroke. Many Pros are required to do some roller training throughout the season to work on the little things that makes them better peddlers. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Plus, you can still use your on-bike computer to monitor normal things you would on the road.

Best Wishes,
    Vector7

6. Shibumi

Shibumi New Member

Vector, rollers do have their place. Warming up at the side of the track, and as you say, if you are a pro, 'true technician' and want to work on technique. I'm not sure if Vladimir falls into these categories.

Vladimir, if you want to concentrate on getting fit, and want to "...ride on one for a couple hours..." then it has to be a turbo trainer.

7. vladimir102

vladimir102 New Member

Thanks, do you know of any good ones to get online some where? Or maybe a good brand for a reasonable price? Thanks again for your help!

8. Shibumi

Shibumi New Member

Personally, I'd go for anything by Tacx, as they seem to be market leader, but it depends what you want, and how much you can spend. I think that there are other threads that discuss the merits of each type, but basically I'd try and get a magnetic one (less noise than a wind one), one where you can vary the resistance, and if you can afford it the Tacx i-magic. I bought my i-magic through the web, and I'll be racing on the web tonight. It's been the biggest factor in improving my fitness since I bought my bike.

9. umberto

umberto New Member

i dont know about the rollers or bike, but one things for sure:
    at the beginning and at the end, do 50 squates, it really helds with endurance.

10. rollers

rollers New Member

11. Klein

Klein New Member

12. Klein

Klein New Member

13. sm266

sm266 New Member

I use cyclops magnetic trainer b/c it was on sale at the LBS. I use the magnetic trainer because it's all I need, as I live in an area that is condusive to year round riding, will the right fabrics. My trainer becomes beneficial in rain or darkness.

I agree with squats at the beginning and end. In fact I throw in some squats and lunges during my workout-sprint/squat, hill climb/lunge etc. It keeps things interesting.

14. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Doing squats won't have any benefit on (cycle) endurance.

Ric

15. Glasgow United

Glasgow United New Member

Thats true, endurance is an aerobic quality and about the eficiency of the cardiovascular system, which not acheiveable through squats.

P.S i enjoy your reading answers on the cyclingnews.com Q&A section ric.

16. larry barr

larry barr New Member

I also recommend using some of the training videos that are available. I like the Spinerval tapes. They take the boredom out of riding to nowhere in the basement.

17. drewski

drewski New Member

get rollers, a fork stand, and a resistance unit. use the rollers for technique. other intervals and strength stuff pop on the fork stand and resistence.

best of both.

18. Retribe

Retribe New Member

If you buy rollers, you should be able to get a fork attachment for when you want to take off the front wheel and do the trainer ride. So you may not have to choose one or the other. I have both, and, you work harder faster on rollers, but, you can't read or watch tv easily while doing them. On a trainer, you can adjust your speed more easily.

Retribe