Training in Austin, Texas

Jed Kornbluh

Guest
A few folks from Chicago's *** Racing - Clif Bar Team are heading down to Austin, TX in February
(20th -24th), staying in the Fredericksburg area. We're looking for three heavy distance rides with
two days in the Luckenbach area, and one in and around the Kerrville/Harper area.

Please contact me if you have some low traffic routes or would like to assist us in finding
someone who does.

Thanks,

Jed Kornbluh *** Racing - Clif Bar Team Chicago, IL

www.xxxracing.org

Make sure you include The Willow City Loop, which is off Highway 16. Highway 16 runs between
Fredricksburg and Llano. The loop itself only thirteen miles, but can be added on to several
different routes. It is very scenic, fairly hilly, and almost zero traffic. For some real Central
Texas hills, head to Utopia and make the loop that takes you through Leakey and Vanderpool. Ranch
road 337 between Leakey and Vanderpool has some of the hardest climbing in the state and has great
scenery to take your mind off the false summits. Hope this helps. bp

Here is a list of training rides to consider. txbra has this great list of training rides from all
over the state.

http://www.txbra.org/events/trainingrides.asp

If you want to so some flat, but very fast rides come to Houston too. Lots of great restaurants,
shopping and plenty of different groups to ride with.

We used to hold the winter training camps for Team Ameritech down here when my daughter
raced for them.

Just be aware of the size of Texas. We do a tremendous amount of driving down here. For example, it
is 250 miles from Houston to Dallas, about the same from San Antonio. That is called the triangle,
by the way. Austin is about 3 hours from Houston.

Bruce

"Jed Kornbluh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> A few folks from Chicago's *** Racing - Clif Bar Team are heading down to Austin, TX in February
> (20th -24th), staying in the Fredericksburg area. We're looking for three heavy distance rides
> with two days in the Luckenbach
area,
> and one in and around the Kerrville/Harper area.
>
> Please contact me if you have some low traffic routes or would like to assist us in finding
> someone who does.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jed Kornbluh *** Racing - Clif Bar Team Chicago, IL
>
> www.xxxracing.org

> I can only imagine how bad Houston must be, especially after being named as the fattest, laziest,
> most obese city in USA.

Having spent no more than 5 days at a time in that city, I can understand..its too freakin hot and
humid to want to do anything there...unbearable in the summer..

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<TBXS9.610723$%[email protected]>...
> "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]...
> >

> > Bruce Gilbert wrote:
> > > Here is a list of training rides to consider. txbra has this great list
> of
> > > training rides from all over the state.
> > >
> > > http://www.txbra.org/events/trainingrides.asp
> > >
> > > If you want to so some flat, but very fast rides come to Houston too.
> Lots
> > > of great restaurants, shopping and plenty of different groups to ride
> with.

This is true. Blows Austin away on the restaurant/shopping/arts scene.

> > If anyone went from Luckenbach, one of the most wonderful cycling areas in the US, to Houston to
> > ride, they'd be a candidate for
> institutionalization.
>
> I can only imagine how bad Houston must be, especially after being named as the fattest, laziest,
> most obese city in USA.

I wouldn't put any credit in this. It was done by Men's Fitness Magazine and they basically tried to
take a somewhat educated guess based on factors such as number of restaurants, weather, smoking,
number of gyms, etc. Not at all scientific.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently did a more scientific study on the
subject, and Houston was not even in the top 10.

Funny how the scientific studies don't get publicized, though. Of course the only time Houston is
ever mentioned on the news is if it's something negative. Sheesh...

FAT GUYS GO DOWNHILL GREAT!!!

"Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> FAT GUYS GO DOWNHILL GREAT!!!

Where are the downhills in Houston?

"jjp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]>...

> > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]...
> > >

> > I can only imagine how bad Houston must be, especially after being named as the fattest,
> > laziest, most obese city in USA.
>
> I wouldn't put any credit in this. It was done by Men's Fitness Magazine and they basically tried
> to take a somewhat educated guess based on factors such as number of restaurants, weather,
> smoking, number of gyms, etc. Not at all scientific.
>
> The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently did a more scientific study on the
> subject, and Houston was not even in the top 10.

So, did Indianapolis or Kansas City win the scientific test?

> Funny how the scientific studies don't get publicized, though. Of course the only time Houston is
> ever mentioned on the news is if it's something negative. Sheesh...

We use parking garages, overpasses and sometimes catapults to produce and train some of the world's
best downhill road sprinters. :))

> "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > FAT GUYS GO DOWNHILL GREAT!!!
> >

> Where are the downhills in Houston?
>

> > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:TBXS9.610723$%[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]...

> > list
> > > of

> too.
> > > Lots
> ride
> > > with.

> areas
> > > institutionalization.
> > >
> > > I can only imagine how bad Houston must be, especially after being named as the fattest,
> > > laziest, most obese city in USA.

Maybe it is just my lack of good perception, but I see more explosively bloated lardballs in Houston
than in other places. It could be that I live here and have been sensitized to it. We have some real
monsters waddling around this city. It is really frightening to watch. My friend's wife tips the
scale at a svelte 450. She is practicing to be an EMS nightmare. Are ambulance drivers allowed to
carry a chainsaw? How the heck do you get something like that down a flight of stairs?

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Qd2T9.612190$WL3.187395@rwcrnsc54...

> "jjp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]>...
>
> > > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]...
> > > >

> > > I can only imagine how bad Houston must be, especially after being named as the fattest,
> > > laziest, most obese city in USA.
> >
> > I wouldn't put any credit in this. It was done by Men's Fitness Magazine and they basically
> > tried to take a somewhat educated guess based on factors such as number of restaurants, weather,
> > smoking, number of gyms, etc. Not at all scientific.
> >
> > The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently did a more scientific study on
> > the subject, and Houston was not even in the top 10.
>
> So, did Indianapolis or Kansas City win the scientific test?
>

> > Funny how the scientific studies don't get publicized, though. Of course the only time Houston
> > is ever mentioned on the news is if it's something negative. Sheesh...

> "jjp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Funny how the scientific studies don't get publicized, though. Of course the only time Houston
> > is ever mentioned on the news is if it's something negative. Sheesh...

As in the most famous of all: "Houston, we have a problem." ? STF

"Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> We have some real monsters waddling around this city. It is really frightening to watch. My
> friend's wife tips the scale at a svelte 450. She is practicing to be an EMS nightmare.

Just take a quick look in the grocery carts of obese people. That's enough motivation to practice
proper dietary habits.

"Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Maybe it is just my lack of good perception, but I see more explosively bloated lardballs in
> Houston than in other places. It could be that I live here and have been sensitized to it. We have
> some real monsters waddling around this city. It is really frightening to watch. My friend's wife
> tips the scale at a svelte 450. She is practicing to be an EMS nightmare. Are ambulance drivers
> allowed to carry a chainsaw? How the heck do you get something like that down a flight of stairs?

The only times I've really noticed the overweight people is when we go to Pappadeux. Weird.