training in Europe - help me pick

I will have about 10 days off at the end of a work assignment in
Germany, and before returning to the US I would like to do a little
"training camp" -- basically go somewhere not rainy and reasonably warm
and ride. Varied terrain would be good (ie, some climbing). Traffic
not too crazy.

This will be the first week in March.

Those of you in the know especially ... where would you go? Somewhere
in Italy? Spain? Southern France?

thanks
Brian

[email protected] wrote:
> This will be the first week in March.

Mallorca, Illes Balears (cycling sponsor). Been there, fantastic riding.
Costa de Almería, southern Spain (erstwhile cycling sponsor). Not been
there, heard good things.
Costa Blanca between Alicante and Murcia, eastern Spain. Been there,
great riding. Can be cumbersome to avoid the main roads.

For the best chance of good weather in the first week of March I would
not go north of, say, Genoa.

E.
stuck above 52ËšN.

--
E. Dronkert

[email protected] wrote:
> I will have about 10 days off at the end of a work assignment in
> Germany, and before returning to the US I would like to do a little
> "training camp" -- basically go somewhere not rainy and reasonably warm
> and ride. Varied terrain would be good (ie, some climbing). Traffic
> not too crazy.
>
> This will be the first week in March.

Mallorca.

[email protected] wrote:
> I will have about 10 days off at the end of a work assignment in
> Germany, and before returning to the US I would like to do a little
> "training camp" -- basically go somewhere not rainy and reasonably warm
> and ride. Varied terrain would be good (ie, some climbing). Traffic
> not too crazy.
>
> This will be the first week in March.
>
> Those of you in the know especially ... where would you go? Somewhere
> in Italy? Spain? Southern France?

Balearics (Majorca) are very popular at that time of year, and you will
find company to ride with too.

http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/training/training1.html
show some mainland spots that are popular too

There is a company that organises training camps in Hyeres, France, on
the Mediterranean (it is also the site of the most active velodrome in
France). I don't know how the camps work, but it certainly is a nice
place. Check out http://www.sportazur.com/

-ilan

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> stuck above 52ËšN.

I'm at 51,13 ... and it has been quite pleasant temperature-wise. if
it wasn't for the persistent wetness.

the suggestions for Spain are looking quite nice (thanks all)
Brian

in 534054 20070114 175401 "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>I will have about 10 days off at the end of a work assignment in
>Germany, and before returning to the US I would like to do a little
>"training camp" -- basically go somewhere not rainy and reasonably warm
>and ride. Varied terrain would be good (ie, some climbing). Traffic
>not too crazy.
>
>This will be the first week in March.
>
>Those of you in the know especially ... where would you go? Somewhere
>in Italy? Spain? Southern France?
>
>thanks
>Brian

Canaries or Madeira.

[email protected] wrote:
> Those of you in the know especially ... where would you go? Somewhere
> in Italy? Spain? Southern France?

Wherever the best quality orange juice can be found.

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:08:19 +0200, Donald Munro
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Those of you in the know especially ... where would you go? Somewhere
>> in Italy? Spain? Southern France?

>Wherever the best quality orange juice can be found.

That stuff is no more dangerous than EPO if used properly.

--
JT
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> >Wherever the best quality orange juice can be found.

> That stuff is no more dangerous than EPO if used properly.

what's the protocol? intravenous? subcutaneous? add it to the blood
you remove the week before?

ilan wrote:
> There is a company that organises training camps in Hyeres, France, on
> the Mediterranean (it is also the site of the most active velodrome in
> France). I don't know how the camps work, but it certainly is a nice
> place. Check out http://www.sportazur.com/

that looks nice too. I'm not looking for an organized camp ... but the
location looks good. Climbing Mt Ventoux would be cool ... their site
mentions it but I can't tell how far it is from Hyeres.
Brian

In article
<[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:08:19 +0200, Donald Munro
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] wrote:
> >> Those of you in the know especially ... where would you go? Somewhere
> >> in Italy? Spain? Southern France?

> >Wherever the best quality orange juice can be found.

> That stuff is no more dangerous than EPO if used properly.

How do you know? :)

--
Michael Press

Donald Munro wrote:
>> >Wherever the best quality orange juice can be found.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Michael Press wrote:
> How do you know? :)

Hardcore badasses do orange juice at all their training camps.

You can use the mappy.fr website to figure out distances, e.g,
Hyeres-Carpentras (Mt. Ventoux):
http://www39.mappy.com/sidNjjWkChRn...=&a10v5=&xv5=&yv5=&csv5=4326&ccv5=250&order=0
which gives 2 hours by car.

I am not sure how well bicycles are accepted in French hotels. My only
experience was disastrous. If you plan to spend a week in a place like
Hyeres and you have some money, you can rent an appartment, which will
avoid such issues, e.g.,
http://www.ownerdirect.com/accommodations/hyeres.htm
On the other hand, Italy has a network of bike friendly hotels which
include a locked room for bicycles, tools, and special menus for
cyclists, see http://www.italybikehotels.it/en/ The most impressive
example is this hotel in San Remo:
http://www.nyalahotel.com/uk/nyala.php

There is absolutely no equivalent in France, if you plan to take your
bike to a French hotel, you will have to check with them about their
policy. Usually, the more expensive the hotel, the better they will
accept it. However, don't plan on keeping it in your room, as you could
in the US.

-ilan

ilan wrote:

> I am not sure how well bicycles are accepted in French hotels. My only
> experience was disastrous. If you plan to spend a week in a place like
> Hyeres and you have some money, you can rent an appartment, which will
> avoid such issues, e.g.,
> http://www.ownerdirect.com/accommodations/hyeres.htm

> There is absolutely no equivalent in France, if you plan to take your
> bike to a French hotel, you will have to check with them about their
> policy. Usually, the more expensive the hotel, the better they will
> accept it. However, don't plan on keeping it in your room, as you could
> in the US.

I've been taking my bikes to hotels in France for (too) many years.
Never stayed in fancy ones but have never had any problems with the
bike. Usually they find a secure place and failing that it goes in the room.
:)