training in rain

yk

Guest
I have just started running outdoor. This a beginner's question. What do
you do to keep your feet from getting wet ? Do people ware regular running
shoes ? TIA

yk wrote:

> I have just started running outdoor. This a beginner's question. What do
> you do to keep your feet from getting wet ? Do people ware regular running
> shoes ? TIA

For most runs, most just use regular running shoes and socks. (For
multiple hour runs with wet feet, there may be other issues - and why I
said "most".)

Some tips: Drainable shoes work best, so the water runs out. Waterproof
shoes frequently capture the water so you slosh for a long time.
Similarly thin socks, if they work for you, would dry faster than heavy
socks. Some use vaseline on foot if expecting to be wet for a while.

To dry your shoes when you're finished running, stuff with newspaper. I
generally switch the newspaper after a couple hours or so, then leave
them overnight with newspaper, then maybe a finishing touch without
newspaper in the morning. It somewhat depends on whether it's summer or
winter. Summer may be cool, damp indoors (no heat); while winter may be
warm, dry (heat on).

Hope that helps. Enjoy!

Dot

--
"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

On 2006-01-05, yk <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have just started running outdoor. This a beginner's question. What do
> you do to keep your feet from getting wet ? Do people ware regular running
> shoes ? TIA

I wear smartwool socks. These of course get wet, but they still insulate
reasonably well when that (inevitably) happens.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Dot wrote:

> yk wrote:
>
> > I have just started running outdoor. This a beginner's question. What do
> > you do to keep your feet from getting wet ? Do people ware regular running
> > shoes ? TIA
> >

> For most runs, most just use regular running shoes and socks. (For
> multiple hour runs with wet feet, there may be other issues - and why I
> said "most".)
>
> Some tips: Drainable shoes work best, so the water runs out. Waterproof
> shoes frequently capture the water so you slosh for a long time.

"Waterproof" foot wear -- especially gore tex --
doesn't work because (whether breathable or non)
it simply traps moisture. Nonbreathable for
obvious reasons and so-called breathable because
there's not enough air space. For "most" of us
regular "drainable" running shoes work best because
at least some of the water can "slosh" out :)

Course you'd know more about sloshing than most
and wouldn't challenge your expertise there ;-)

> Similarly thin socks, if they work for you, would dry faster than heavy
> socks. Some use vaseline on foot if expecting to be wet for a while.
>
> To dry your shoes when you're finished running, stuff with newspaper. I
> generally switch the newspaper after a couple hours or so, then leave
> them overnight with newspaper, then maybe a finishing touch without
> newspaper in the morning. It somewhat depends on whether it's summer or
> winter. Summer may be cool, damp indoors (no heat); while winter may be
> warm, dry (heat on).

Yep -- just don't dry any foot wear fast, like with
a hair dryer...

Dot wrote:

> Some tips: Drainable shoes work best, so the water runs out. Waterproof
> shoes frequently capture the water so you slosh for a long time.

True, but if you can count on never landing in a too deep puddle, which
often is the case when you run in urban enviroment (and only in
moderate rain), waterproof shoes do have their advantages.

OTOH if you splash the water (or the wet snow) you land in hard or long
enough, your legs will get drenched and your socks will get soaked
nevertheless, unless you wear waterproof gaitors, as for instance
orienteers do.

> Similarly thin socks, if they work for you, would dry faster than heavy
> socks. Some use vaseline on foot if expecting to be wet for a while.

In some extreme conditions, such as in the spring when the fastest
route crosses peatland where the swamp water is still ice-cold
orienteers can resort to long-legged thermosocks of 2mm neoprene.

Anders

anders wrote:
> Dot wrote:
>

>>Some tips: Drainable shoes work best, so the water runs out. Waterproof
>>shoes frequently capture the water so you slosh for a long time.

> True, but if you can count on never landing in a too deep puddle, which
> often is the case when you run in urban enviroment (and only in
> moderate rain),

true.

> waterproof shoes do have their advantages.

I've been considering water resistant / proof ones (if I find ones that
work biomechanically for me) for dewy and frosty days since my
breathable shoes get damp after a few hours - but not enough moisture to
need to worry about draining.

> OTOH if you splash the water (or the wet snow) you land in hard or long
> enough, your legs will get drenched and your socks will get soaked
> nevertheless, unless you wear waterproof gaitors, as for instance
> orienteers do.

Are the waterproof gaitors in addition to the neoprene socks you mention
below? Or do they come over the toes? Examples (link)? Maybe that's what
I need to do is look at orienteering gear. A couple years ago when I did
one course, I noticed the experienced folks had different running gear -
snag resistant/proof. Until you mentioned it, I hadn't given any thought
to different footwear they might use.

Something I've considered doing is taking neoprene socks, cutting the
bottom out, and putting a tie under the sole to keep it in place. Or at
least a toe-cap like for skiing. Most gaitors I've seen, just cover the
ankle and not the foot, but I do have one pair that covers the shoe
laces (not ones I'd run in).

The neoprene overbooties that I use for snowshoe running work so well
that I'm trying to mimic something like that when I don't have snowshoes
on. (They're actually for biking and what kept my feet from freezing in
tri, but ss ones are similar.)

>>Similarly thin socks, if they work for you, would dry faster than heavy
>>socks. Some use vaseline on foot if expecting to be wet for a while.

> In some extreme conditions, such as in the spring when the fastest
> route crosses peatland where the swamp water is still ice-cold
> orienteers can resort to long-legged thermosocks of 2mm neoprene.

Thanks. That's what our trails are like during breakup. ;) :( Don't
have to ice feet afterwards. ;)

Seriously, I've got an assortment of things like neoprene socks,
sealskinz, etc (that I'd gotten for bike leg of winter tri I did 4 yr
ago), and after re-considering a number of options, have been
considering trying them. I know some local runners report blisters with
them, but gosh, maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't. Won't know until I try.
Will try with liner socks though, as my feet were cold in sealskinz the
one time I tried.

Right now we're dusty dry or ice in most areas so no place to really
test right now unless we get frost again or I find some open water, but
I'm not an extremist. ;)

Thanks again. You got me thinking about some other approaches.

Dot

--

Tom Phillips wrote:

> Dot wrote:

Summer may be cool, damp indoors (no heat); while winter may be
>>warm, dry (heat on).

> Yep -- just don't dry any foot wear fast, like with
> a hair dryer...

I should clarify: the "no heat" / "heat on" referred to home heat, not a
dryer. I did find out this summer that if it's 100% humidity and raining
outside and there's no heat on in the house (summer), then there's no
reason for the shoes to be able to air dry by themselves (drip the worst
of it off, but not the dampness), hence more changes of newspaper.

Dot

--
"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I have been doing a lot of running in the rain and on wet trails this
season and to keep my feet dry I decided to try a pair of Montrail
Susitna II's. They are a bit different from other GoreTex shoes in that
the outer most shell is the waterproof layer and *not* some inner layer,
keeping the shoes from getting water logged. They also come witha low,
integrated, waterproof gater. I was skeptical at first, but I have about
130 miles of dry feet.

This is the shoe I bought:

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/MON0015/Montrail-Susitna-XCR-Trail-Running-Shoe-Mens.html

They worn pretty darn good in keeping me dry.

-Jason

yk wrote:
> I have just started running outdoor. This a beginner's question. What do
> you do to keep your feet from getting wet ? Do people ware regular running
> shoes ? TIA

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I should clarify: the "no heat" / "heat on" referred to home heat, not
> a dryer. I did find out this summer that if it's 100% humidity and
> raining outside and there's no heat on in the house (summer), then
> there's no reason for the shoes to be able to air dry by themselves
> (drip the worst of it off, but not the dampness), hence more changes
> of newspaper.

And why I like to circulate more than one pair. :)

-DougF

Dot kirjoitti:

> I've been considering water resistant / proof ones (if I find ones that
> work biomechanically for me) for dewy and frosty days since my
> breathable shoes get damp after a few hours - but not enough moisture to
> need to worry about draining.

"Water repellent" is sufficient for running, "water proof" is better
left for activities where you need to wade through water.

(Not meant as a tip or a recommendation, but Puma Complete Trailfox is
a shoe that is getting the best word-of-mouth rave reviews since New
Balance 900s.)

> Are the waterproof gaitors in addition to the neoprene socks you mention
> below? Or do they come over the toes? Examples (link)?

In my orienteering days the neoprene socks weren't yet around and I
must admit I have no idea whether they have, when worn, rendered the
gaitors redundant. The gaitors indeed do not come over the toes, merely
the ankle and the heel. (For a photograph - which unfortunately doesn't
reveal that strategic area - go to http://www.suunnistajankauppa.fi
click on the sock -> tuotteet -> asusteet -> säärisuojat.) In
"normal" wet conditions they work suprisingly well in keeping your
socks dry, as well as pieces of dirt (fine sand and dust aren't
problems here)out of your shoes - and they double as Achilles warmers
in winter (although I prefer my homely old woolen sock legs).

> Right now we're dusty dry or ice in most areas so no place to really
> test right now unless we get frost again or I find some open water, but
> I'm not an extremist. ;)

Here it's snow that turned to slush and refroze and then got a day of
rain on top of it and refroze - the paths are runnable but as hard on
the legs as frozen asphalt:-(

For near-by skiing there's only one cannon-snow loop of about a mile -
full of ill-tempered ski-crazy male menopause sufferers:)

Anders

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-01-05, yk <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have just started running outdoor. This a beginner's question.
>> What do
>> you do to keep your feet from getting wet ? Do people ware regular
>> running
>> shoes ? TIA

> I wear smartwool socks. These of course get wet, but they still
> insulate
> reasonably well when that (inevitably) happens.

I bought a pair last year to experiment with and have very good luck
with warm feet in almost all conditions. My Wigwam's also worked but I
like to experiment. The other day we had a mix of snow and rain and the
roads were slush - I chose not to run. I couldn't muster the hubris to
take on two inches of cold water to test any socks. Color me a shameful
red. :)

-DF

Doug Freese wrote:
> The other day we had a mix of snow and rain [...] I chose not to run.

Auditioning for the Nancy Lance-y Winter Wuss Club? ;-)

Pendejo, who ran in hail with 35 mph gusts a couple days ago (note to
self for 11.75 months from now - 2006 training year, craziest weather)

Getting wet isnt a problem.
It only happens when its above 28F or so, and the increased
foot circulation keeps me warm.

However footwear and socks should be completely dried between
runs, or else this enhances bad skin conditions.

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:09:26 -0800, "yk" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have just started running outdoor. This a beginner's question. What do
>you do to keep your feet from getting wet ? Do people ware regular running
>shoes ? TIA

Frickin' *****.

"... O,
I vaguely recall scenes from another life,
Very far into the past ..."
~ Twittering

"Gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) is an illegal drug that is used as a
muscle builder, a "party drug" and a "date-rape" drug. GHB is available
as a liquid, a powder form or a pill. GHB has been linked to many
serious illnesses and even deaths. GHB has many names (see box).

A form of GHB (brand name: Xyrem) was recently approved by the U.S.
Food and Drug Administration to treat a rare complication of a disorder
called narcolepsy. However, Xyrem is only available with a prescription
and its use is very tightly restricted."

http://familydoctor.org/644.xml

"... before stumblng
Upon Morpheus ..."
~ Twittering

Common street names
Of GHB ~

Blue nitro

Cherry fX bombs

Cherry meth

Easy lay

Everclear

Firewater

Gamma G

Georgia homeboy

GHB

G.H. revitalizer

Gib

Goops

Great hormones at bedtime

Grievous bodily harm

G-riffick

Growth hormone booster

Insom-X

Invigorate

Lemon fX drops

Liquid ecstasy

Liquid E

Liquid X

Longevity

Natural sleep-500

Nature's quaalude

Orange fX rush

Organic quaalude

Oxy-sleep

Poor man's heroin

Remforce

Revivarant

Salty water

Scoop

Soap

Somatomax PM

Somsanit

Vita-G

Water

Wolfies

Zonked

~ * ~

While, all alone,
Watching the loophole's spark,
Lie I, with life all dark,
Feet tether'd, hands fetter'd
Fast to the stone,

"Wolfies

Zonked,

O, Twittering, you called ~ ?

Scoop

Soap
Salty water

Splashing about,
O, where, O where, O I do pout ~

O, where upon,
O, wherever swims

My rubber duckie,
My yellow submarine,
My aquamarine

Salty sandy quartz shore ~ ?

Zig ~ zagging
Zipping up a ziggurat
Zanily un zipped,

If zonked
Cantering about upon my zany Zebra
Across Charring Cross ...

O, Twittering, you called ~ ?

What's your Zip Code,
Do you play a zirconium zither
While zipping zanily if insanely over aquamarine waters on your Zodiaz
~ ?"
~ Morpheus

"O, perchance
You serve a lovely zinfandel ~ ?"