Training In Santiago, Chile

Wet Pave

Jul 14, 2004
Can anyone recommend any good contacts for road cycling routes in/around Santiago, Chile? I will be there the second week in February (first week will be spent 4hrs South) and would like to have some ideas before I go. My wife is from Santiago but she has no idea about the cycling culture down there.

Any ideas? I can't even find anything on the internet...everything seems to cater to mountain bikers. To make matters worse, I've got a team mate that is joining us down there. Our goal is to use this as a mini-camp before we head to California in March for our "official" pre-season camp. Would hate to have to call it on-the-fly as we're riding around.

Also, would it be possible for an American to jump in on some local racing while down there?

Cheers-

Wet Pave

Wet Pave said:
Can anyone recommend any good contacts for road cycling routes in/around Santiago, Chile? I will be there the second week in February (first week will be spent 4hrs South) and would like to have some ideas before I go. My wife is from Santiago but she has no idea about the cycling culture down there.

Any ideas? I can't even find anything on the internet...everything seems to cater to mountain bikers. To make matters worse, I've got a team mate that is joining us down there. Our goal is to use this as a mini-camp before we head to California in March for our "official" pre-season camp. Would hate to have to call it on-the-fly as we're riding around.

Also, would it be possible for an American to jump in on some local racing while down there?

Cheers-

Wet Pave
I haven't been in Chile for years, but you're right. Mtn biking is fairly popular due to the rugged terrain and temperant climate. Road cycling isn't as common due to the bad narrow roads outside of the city. I lived in Magallanes for a couple of years. Good training down there but the wind would blow you over sometimes. My advice is to get away from Santiago and ask locals where the biggest hills are.