Training in the Rain

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by redstorm, Jun 13, 2003.

?

Do you train in the rain?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

242 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

When I get ready to ride I ride. Could care less about the weather. Just dress for it. My bike is not going to melt and neither am I. Plus if in a race and starts to rain. I know how to handle it. Can always spot the dudes in the pack who shy away from the rain. They are usaully at the rear.......

Memph

2. VeloZoooooooom

VeloZoooooooom New Member

Agreed. Riding in the rain is actually fun. Admittedly it's sometimes harder to get out the door but I think that once you are wet and realize you aren't going to get any wetter it's kind of a blast. It reminds me of when I was a kid and things like weather were a bit too troublesome to worry about.

3. Cletus75

Cletus75 New Member

From an asthmatic's point-of-view, drizzly weather is heaven-sent. When running cross-country the humidity can make as big as 10% difference to my time, as I find it much harder to breathe under duress when the air is very dry. The quote below is from the Australian Lung Foundation website, and whilst it is aimed at asthmatics, the logic is probably somewhat applicable to the average person as well.

"If the air we breathe is cold, the increased breathing caused by exercise cools and dries the lining of the bronchial tubes. Cooling and drying of the airtubes causes irritant chemicals to be released which cause the airways to narrow. Asthmatic bronchial tubes are abnormally sensitive to these released chemicals which cause them to narrow. This sometimes occurs during but particularly after exercise. Allergic particles or irritants in the air might also be important aggravating factors."

Of course, the benefit on a bike is probably more than offset by how much cornering speed (and enthusiasm) I lose!

4. thoehn63

thoehn63 New Member

OK, I am relatively new to serious roadbiking, but have a technical background, so here goes. Water on the road increases rolling resistance, period. It has almost nothing to do with friction as a hard tire "rolls", and friction would imply scuffing or sliding. When you roll on a wet road you are "pushing" the water from under the tire, which is the reason for the increased rolling resistance. Additionally, notice the tire stays wet, which means your tire is picking up a little water from the stationary ground, and accelerating it up to your speed. This requires work, which is coming from your legs.

Air pressure changes are insignificant for drag, however you are once again hitting water which is essentally still, and a lot of it sticks to you which means you are accelerating that water to match your speed. Again this requires work, and you don't get it back because the water drops off your feet. It would have to leap off your backside in order to make up for the extra work you are doing.

That said, I too ride faster in the rain, and I assume it is because it cools me off. My speed suffers on very hot, humid days, and we get a lot of those here in Florida. I have never heard of anyone riding faster in a really cold rain, but if they did it would kind of blow my theory...

Terry, Clermont, FL, USA

5. Chris_L

Chris_L New Member

Where's the option for "I start every ride hoping for rain?"

6. Glasgow United

Glasgow United New Member

In scotland rain is part and parcel of training, and not just a light drizzle, we're talking cold, heavy, wind-rain constantly, and thats just summer. I do prefer to ride when its cold and sunny as it makes me feel good but i think that if you really like cycling teh weather shouldn't matter.

7. rollers

rollers New Member

Riding in the rain can be fun and it's certainly invigorating to get caught in a brief shower followed by sunshine. Talk about getting an extra burst of energy!

I do have a great dislike for hydroplaning and that 'drop anchor' feeling you get when you ride into a puddle. It's also a good thing to know the roads you're riding in the rain. Hidden potholes are no fun at all.

If it's raining when I want to go out and train and it doesn't look like it's letting up in good time then I'll move the workout indoors.

8. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Riding in the rain offroad and on the road are two very different things. Rain improves the former and makes the latter worse!

9. Carrera

Carrera New Member

Living over here I have no other choice but to get soaked. I dislike the whole experience, especially since the chain gets wet. Some days ago I went out in a heavy downpour and, seeing as I wear glasses at the moment, I was riding without vision, looking through water-covered lenses. Normally I would wear contact lenses. Plus, my pumps were filled with water.
    Even so, come rain or shine, it's better to go out and ride.

10. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

I train in the rain. I don't take my nice roadbike though. I've built a bike specifically for when the weather is bad.

11. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i have a mountain bike with semmi slicks on for the rain, i guess its through accidents that i have had in the past when riding in the rain. i have always thought wider tyres more traction,friction more control in wet conditions.

one day out on a ride the weather changed from drizzle to dropplets that must have been the size of footballs with hail in it, i had very poor visability but 20-30feet to a bend i could see a wall speeding towards me, as i applyed the brakes nothing happend, i even tryed pressing my foot on the tyres like you see kids doing that have no breaks on them.

but still there was a reffusal to stop 20 metres and i decided my only option was to bail... 1 broken colar bone, dislocated hip, unbelievable gravel rash and a 14miles ride home on 1 leg. i now choose to stay at home if its raining, no more unnecessary long rides in the rain. the thought of being unable to ride the folowing day because i decided to go out in the rain scares me.

12. mattp71

mattp71 New Member

Good lord, your not supposed to ride at warp speed in the rain :)

13. nutbag

nutbag New Member

Man, I blow a head gasket over 20 degrees!!

14. nutbag

nutbag New Member

15. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Well its raining here now and i will be setting off for work soon,so its out with the good old faithful MTB , boy what an excuse to get the shorts out and get very wet, arrive at work and get half hour or so to dry off and get changed....

Thats gotta be the best thing about cycling in the rain, rain dripping in ones face makes a change from just sweat.

16. Andy Grow

Andy Grow New Member

If I didn't train in the rain I would never ride.

Such is life on Kodiak, Alaska - we get 3-4x as much rain each year as Seattle does...! :(

17. keydates

keydates New Member

Depends on my mood. The off and on rain today is a pain, and I don't really feel like getting my bike and clothes wet. When I have not been riding for several days, I usually go out riding regardless of if it's raining.

18. jaykay

jaykay New Member

Go out and train. wear the right gear, keep upper body warm and dry. Enjoy the extra energy derived from the moist air and dry and lube your new bike when home.;)

19. chisa1234

chisa1234 New Member

just been out today, got wet through, had to take socks off due to the weight of water they were holding.

i had a great time. concentrate on cycling and not the weather.

20. BeltzTximino

BeltzTximino New Member

I'll often go out of my way to ride in the rain, the heavier the better. In my opinion it builds character, and is damn fun.