• Love it, Builds Character and Endurance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do it, Have to Be Prepared

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • Slog it, Haven't Found A Wind Umbrella Attachment For My Bike

Votes: 59 51.3%
  • Toss A Coin, Wind and Rain is a 50% Ride Probability

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Avoid it, Warm Bed Covers beat Wind Anyday of the Week!

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters
Tail winds? What are they?......

Oh, you mean the wind can blow from *behind* you as well? Are you trying to tell me that it is not a law of physics that all winds blow opposite to the direction in which your travelling. I've never heard of such thing....

I think they may have possibly been legislated out of existence here in Eastern Canada...If all else fails, blame the Liberals.

Weather conditions over here are weird at the moment. It's been very hot but today it looks like there'll be a storm with torrential rain. If there is I have no option but to go out in it since tonight I'll be at work and won't get another chance.
The real difficulty is riding in a high pollen count. I'm an acute sufferer so I have to ride past bushes and trees with itching eyes e.t.c.

Originally posted by njeitner
In general, speed isn't always the best measure of the quality of a training ride. Sometimes the most difficult part of training is getting on the bike, especially in bad (weather) conditions.

Physcology has a big part to play, no matter what the direction or speed of a wind it's always a training breeze. Say that enough times and you'll really ******** your riding mates, but it really does take the sting out.....

Originally posted by nutbag
Wind is almost fun compared to rain.

I always start into the wind, then have great fun being blown home at 50kmh

Bump...head out into the wind so you have an easier run home.

I reckon that bloke posting from Gistel has more than the odd day tackling 30 knot winds AND sideways rain!! :D

PS-say hi to Johan man....

Originally posted by clever_guy
What is everyones thoughts on training in the wind?
-CG

The wind is my friend...the wind makes me STRONG...The wind is my friend...the wind makes me STRONG...The wind is my friend...the wind makes me STRONG...The wind is my friend...the wind makes me STRONG...The wind is my friend...the wind makes me STRONG...
:D

living in michigan where the wind usually come from the north, I like to ride into the wind as hard as possible. this gives me a good workout and makes the ride home a speed test.

As a young up-and-comer in his native Belgium, Eddy Mercz used to go out WITH the wind and come home against it...

I can see how Eddy got so strong riding like that. The fatigue adds up and how you do against the wind when you're tired tells you where you are related to endurance. Smart.

Thomas Davis

armchair_spacem said:
As a young up-and-comer in his native Belgium, Eddy Mercz used to go out WITH the wind and come home against it...

Head winds are greatness for strength training. I live in a really windy area of the country. I checked and the typical wind speed for my rides this fall have been around 15mph. I have gotten really good at boring a hole through the wind. The first time that I rode in calm conditions was greatness. It felt like I had shead the boat anchor that I had been towing. :p

flysolo1 said:
the wind is your friend whe it is in front of you it makes you stronger and when its behind you it make you faster...
and crosswinds put you in the path of on comming traffic, well the side surface area on my martec does that for me, my MTB and other racer aren't to bad though, just i favour training on my martec...

but i don't like the risk of being thrown into the path of vehicles. so i'll be staying in until spring i guess :( Someone take me away from this god forsaken country to warmer climates plz plzze

tomdavis80 said:
I can see how Eddy got so strong riding like that. The fatigue adds up and how you do against the wind when you're tired tells you where you are related to endurance. Smart.

Thomas Davis
i find that you can spinnn and feel relativley comfortable with a headwind, but i prefare to mash out the bigger gears, Guess its a strength thing, just occsssionally i'll ensure that my cadence is still with me during longer journeys. 39x19 lovely gear for 30/40mph headwinds. i usually end up riding back with a headwind, i also find that i have to ride up all the hills, where all the other cyclists i meet tend to be coming down them with the wind behind them...