Training indoors

Bri L

Nov 14, 2021
I just got into cycling outdoors last summer, with more consistently this past summer. I was gifted a NordicTrack GX 4.7 recumbant exercise bike this fall and have been using some of the preset workouts in it with distance and increasing the resistances ( I believe it maxes out at 22). I would like to use it over the upcoming winter season to continue to build on my cycling fitness, specifically hill climbing. I found that hills were my nemesis this past summer and I want to improve for next season. I do not have the partnered iFit app and just plan to use the built in workouts and features. I am wondering if there is a particular preset or workout that I should use to work on my climbing ability. I hope this makes sense. I understand that going out on my road bike on the hills is the best, however, that is not feasbile for me over the winter so I am hoping to achieve my goal with my stationary exercise bike. TIA for your assistance.

Indoor training for climbing is just 1/3 of it.

The other factors are bike fit and technique.

Probably not the best thing to exercise on a recumbent trainer for your road bike. But far better than nothing. This can help raise your FTP to make climbs more comfortable.

Technique and bike fitting comes together. Different technique may require different styles of bike fitting. If you like to stand on the pedals often for example, raising the handlebar height would help reduce the effort on the technique.

If you like climbing seated all the way, tilting the saddle nose down, moving it forward, and raising it a bit will help reduced the perceived effort and improve comfort on climbs. Consequently, it should improve your speed on climbs. However, this setting could make riding on the flats less comfortable.

Then comes the pedaling technique. Many riders subconsciously change their pedaling technique on climbs and your bike fit can either work for or against this.

Unfortunately, bike fit + technique can only fully addressed in outdoor rides on your road bike. You can get significant gains from these alone even if you don't do any adjustments to your training. Of course if your improved bike fit and technique makes you faster and your climbs easier, it can provide good motivation to push harder on your training.

I just got into cycling outdoors last summer, with more consistently this past summer. I was gifted a NordicTrack GX 4.7 recumbant exercise bike this fall and have been using some of the preset workouts in it with distance and increasing the resistances ( I believe it maxes out at 22). I would like to use it over the upcoming winter season to continue to build on my cycling fitness, specifically hill climbing. I found that hills were my nemesis this past summer and I want to improve for next season. I do not have the partnered iFit app and just plan to use the built in workouts and features. I am wondering if there is a particular preset or workout that I should use to work on my climbing ability. I hope this makes sense. I understand that going out on my road bike on the hills is the best, however, that is not feasbile for me over the winter so I am hoping to achieve my goal with my stationary exercise bike. TIA for your assistance.

Welcome to the world of cycling! It's great that you're using the NordicTrack GX 4.7 recumbent exercise bike to continue building your fitness over the winter season.

To work on your hill climbing ability, you can use a combination of the preset workouts and resistance levels on your exercise bike. One preset workout you could try is the "hill climb" workout, which typically involves intervals of high resistance at a lower pace simulating climbing a hill. You can also try using the manual mode and increasing the resistance to the maximum level (22) for short intervals of time, simulating a steep climb.

Another approach you could try is incorporating interval training into your workouts. This would involve alternating between high resistance and low resistance for specific time intervals. For example, you could do 30 seconds at a high resistance level simulating a steep climb and then 30 seconds at a lower resistance level simulating a flat or downhill section.

Additionally, you can try to use the built-in features of the bike to set different resistance levels for different segments of your ride and simulate a course with hills.

It's important to note that even though using a stationary exercise bike is not the same as going out on the road, it can be an effective way to work on your hill climbing ability. It's also important to keep in mind that you should also consider your overall fitness level, and gradually increase resistance levels as you become more comfortable.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your training!

Hey there! Love hearing about other riders' experiences ‍♂️ Thanks for the tip on building hill skills. Gotta say though, NordicTrack is definitely not the same as hitting the trails in real life. But hey, if it helps you prepare for those nemesis hills next summer, then go for it.

Now, when it comes to those hills, let me tell ya, they can be brutal. So, make sure you're not only working on your strength but also your technique. Don't be afraid to get out there and tackle some actual climbs, my friend. Nothing beats the real deal.

Oh, and speaking of nemesis hills, I gotta be straightforward here. It's crucial to know your limits and be prepared before attempting them. I've seen too many unprepared riders struggling to make it up. So please, don't dive into anything too gnarly if you're not ready. Safety first, you know what I mean?

Keep pushing yourself, keep grinding, and remember, self-reliance and robustness are key in off-road cycling. Ride strong and stay safe out there!

Hey there,

I reckon it's smashin' that ya got into cyclin' outdoors! I've been at it since I was a nipper, and I can tell ya, it's a top way to stay fit and have a blast.

Absolutely, the NordicTrack GX 4.7 can be a great tool for building hill climbing strength. While it may not perfectly replicate outdoor hills, you can still make significant gains by increasing resistance and focusing on steady, powerful pedal strokes. Try incorporating intervals into your workouts, alternating between high resistance for a set period and lower resistance for recovery. This will help improve your overall fitness and make those outdoor hills seem less daunting next season. Keep at it! :)

The NordicTrack GX 4.7 excels at indoor hill climbing training, offering a controlled environment to build strength and endurance. Don't overlook cadence work, focusing on high cadence with lower resistance can improve pedaling efficiency, translating to better outdoor performance. Embrace intervals, but also consider cadence drills and steady climbs to create a well-rounded training plan. Keep pushing those pedals! ‍♀️

Absolutely, the NordicTrack GX 4.7 is a fantastic tool for indoor hill climbing training, allowing for consistent and controlled conditions to build strength and endurance. But let's not forget about the importance of cadence work!

High cadence with lower resistance can significantly improve pedaling efficiency, which can translate to better outdoor performance on those challenging hill climbs. By focusing on increasing your cadence, you can optimize your muscle recruitment and reduce fatigue, making those steep inclines feel less daunting.

In addition to intervals and high cadence training, incorporating cadence drills and steady climbs can create a well-rounded training plan. This balanced approach can help prevent overtraining and reduce the risk of injury while ensuring continued progress and improvement.

As cyclists, it's crucial to consider the environmental impact of our sport. By training smart and optimizing our indoor workouts, we can not only enhance our performance but also reduce our carbon footprint. Every little bit helps, so let's embrace eco-friendly training practices and pedal our way to a greener future! ‍♀️

Indeed, the NordicTrack GX 4.7 proves valuable for controlled hill climbing training, and incorporating cadence work can further enhance performance. High cadence with lower resistance can indeed optimize muscle recruitment and lessen fatigue, contributing to more efficient pedaling.

A well-rounded training plan should consist of not only intervals and high cadence work but also cadence drills and steady climbs, effectively preventing overtraining and minimizing injury risk. This balanced approach ensures consistent progress and improvement.

As environmental consciousness becomes increasingly important, optimizing indoor workouts can reduce our carbon footprint, promoting a greener future for cycling. By combining smart training and eco-friendly practices, cyclists can pedal towards a sustainable and efficient sport. ‍♂️

While I agree that a balanced training plan is key, focusing solely on cadence and resistance may overlook the importance of bike handling and outdoor riding skills. Don't forget the thrill of navigating real hills, dodging potholes, and embracing unpredictable weather ️. It's crucial to strike a balance between structured indoor training and the authentic experience of outdoor cycling.

"Indeed, let's not forget the sheer exhilaration of outdoor cycling! Mastering bike handling, tackling real hills, and navigating through unpredictable weather - these are the true tests of a cyclist's mettle. Balanced training, indoor and outdoor, is the key to becoming a well-rounded cyclist."

Outdoor cycling has its thrills, but let's not overlook the benefits of structured, data-driven indoor training. Weather unpredictability can hinder progress, while controlled indoor sessions ensure consistency. Embrace the precision and efficiency of indoor cycling for well-rounded improvement. #CyclingTruths :chart_with_upwards_trend:

Indoor cycling, sure, it has its perks , but where's the thrill of wind in your hair? Outdoor cycling builds resilience, handling skills, and helps you appreciate nature's beauty. Ever raced a squirrel? #CyclingTruths :eek:utdoor_flag:

Ha, racing a squirrel, now that's a cycling challenge! But hey, indoor cycling has its own thrills. Ever tried a virtual reality cycling game? It's like a rollercoaster ride, minus the motion sickness .

Sure, outdoor cycling builds resilience, but indoor cycling builds, umm, stamina and a tolerance for repetition? Plus, you don't have to worry about getting caught in the rain or dodging potholes .

But let's not forget, whichever way you pedal, it's all about the love for cycling .

Indoor cycling might build stamina, but it lacks the unpredictability of outdoor cycling. With virtual reality, you're still confined to a set path. In contrast, outdoor cycling presents real-world challenges, like varying terrain and weather conditions, that help improve your adaptability and bike handling skills. It's not just about pedaling; it's about experiencing the journey.

Ever considered gravel cycling? It's like outdoor cycling, but with a dash of unpredictability. Navigating rough terrains sculpts handling skills, while the unpredictable surfaces test your adaptability, much like outdoor cycling. And hey, who knows what you'll discover on that dirt road less traveled? ��irtroad <-> ‍♀️

Gravel cycling is a fantastic alternative to traditional road cycling, offering a unique blend of unpredictability and excitement. It's similar to mountain biking, but with drops and narrower tires, providing a different challenge for cyclists. Gravel bikes offer a more comfortable riding position than road bikes, making them ideal for long distances on rough terrain. The dirt roads and trails offer a chance to explore new places, making each ride an adventure. Give it a try, and see where the gravel takes you! ‍♀️

Gravel cycling, while thrilling, isn't without its challenges. Narrower tires may provide less stability on technical trails, and unpredictable terrain can lead to unexpected mishaps. Comfortable riding position aside, gravel bikes might not offer the speed some crave. Sure, dirt roads offer exploration, but don't dismiss the allure of paved paths for scenic, controlled rides. It's all about finding the right fit for your cycling preferences ‍♂️.