Training ineffective?

Strumpetto

Jul 13, 2007
Okay, so I know there has been a recent influx of new cyclists asking for advice, so I apologize for a similar post. I began racing XC MTB several years ago, and I am trying to get back into shape. I'm 23, 5' 8", 150 lbs.

I don't have a HR monitor or power meter yet, and I've just been listening to my body, more or less. However, I feel faster already, and I'm avg. about 17 mph on 40 miles of mountainess roads on my 30 lb hartail. I know this is slow to you roadies. :) Also, my RHR has fallen by 10 in the last month, so I'm happy about that, and I'm picking up a 21lb hardtail within the month, so weight won't be an issue soon.

My problem: I can't go slow. I'm always pushing myself to what I think is about 80-90% of my MHR. As a result, I'm not sure if I have an adequate base. Can you harm youself by pushing yourself hard without a good base?I do make sure to get adequate rest, however. If I push myself hard, I take the next day off or do a light ride. Okay, nothing new, this has been said over and over again.

GOALS: Win or place in several sport races next season, and hopefully, if I'm genetically capable, be riding expert within another two years. I am deadly serious and deadly motivated. :)

Within the month I will be picking up a HRM and Friels book. Until then, however, how can I guage just how fast I really am? I was winning overall in my begginner races, but that's begginner, so I don't have a clue. And, as I don't have a power meter, can't do anything there, either. I've ridden with guys who ride a lot, and I was faster than all of them, but I don't think that they did any dedicated training, so again, I have no idea.

Questions: Should I get a power meter or a HRM? Is it detrimental to routinely push hard, even if followed by recovery? To be blunt, I love to ride, but I also love liquor, so if I dont' have some natural ability to work off of, I'd rather go back to the drinking/bar lifestyle then work my ass off for minimal results. As of today, I've stopped drinking. Can anyone definately say that say, 1-3 drinks on a Friday night will be deleterious? Sounds pathetic and ridiculous, I know.

again, thanks for the time, and sorry for the trollish post.

Strumpetto said:
My problem: I can't go slow. I'm always pushing myself to what I think is about 80-90% of my MHR. As a result, I'm not sure if I have an adequate base.
I see no problem with that. As long as you're varying the duration of your rides.

Strumpetto said:
Can you harm youself by pushing yourself hard without a good base?
A good base doesn't have to be made of "easy miles".

My main concern with this approach is more the mental side (longer term), but given that you have experience in training and racing, and given your age, I'd say get out there and enjoy your work at 80%-90% of MHR, which is a perfect intensity range given your age and goals anyway.

Strumpetto said:
Until then, however, how can I guage just how fast I really am?
I'd say that the best way would be to register to some races.

Don't forget to focus on your own improvement, even if I can understand your need to compare to other riders at this point in time.

Strumpetto said:
Should I get a power meter or a HRM?
Get a Powermeter (without a doubt). They ship with HRMs anyway.

Strumpetto said:
Is it detrimental to routinely push hard
Not per se, although it might not always be necessary to do so.

One thing should made be clear though. If you go out for a 120min ride, pushing too hard at the beginning might be detrimental for reaching the ride's objective. You got to learn how to pace. By doing so, you might find the beginning of most longish rides relatively easy, at least in comparison to the end of the ride.

Finally, on the "liquor" issue, don't change your lifestyle. When you start racing, you'll be smart enough to figure out what's good and what's bad

Hi, thanks for your response.

I do vary my rides. It depends on how I feel. If I feel strong I might go 40 or 50 miles at 70-90% HR. The next day, if I feel fatigued, I just don't ride, or I go out for a 45 minute cruise. Other days I might just do 10 or 20 miles at whatever pace I feel comforatable with. One thing that has made me stronger, though, has been tailing the roadies. I usually end up on the tail of a few , and I ask if I can hang with them. I even pull for a few miles. I find that if I can hang with the roadies, then I will be on my way to improving. Then, at least once a week, I do difficult trail climbs, and it is here that I definately reach my VO2 max very quickly. This is where I really want to improve, since I've traditionally left people behind on the climbs. Again, though, I have trouble pacing myself. I seem to be doing race pace no matter what. Will I improve more if I go 100% for as long as I can up the mountain, or if I pace myself and make it up without stopping?Any suggestions? Also, can you direct me to a power meter that is reasonably priced? Thanks

P.S. I'm looking into getting a coach. It seems as if I can get one for 50-100 dollars a month? Worth it?

Strumpetto said:
P.S. I'm looking into getting a coach. It seems as if I can get one for 50-100 dollars a month? Worth it?
Good coaching is the fastest way to improve. How much to spend depends on the level of service you will want/get (customisation, flexibility, amount of interaction etc).

Drop Ric Stern a note at
[email protected]
to see if RST can help.

You can view details at:
http://www.cyclecoach.com

You may also want to consider a power meter. Make sure coach thoroughly understands power based training.

Good luck!