Triathlon · Public discussion

Training interrupted due to FLU, what to do?

Started by Ed Brenton · · Last activity · 2 posts · 720 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
2 September 2003
Last activity
2 September 2003
Original author
Ed Brenton
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
720
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got two races coming up, a sprint in 1 1/2 weeks and an olympic in 3 1/2 weeks. The later will
    be my first olympic distance race.

    I had a pretty good training plan in place, but just this last weekend I came down with the flu. At
    a time when I was planning on doing some of my heaviest swim and bike training I've ended up
    spending four days on the couch.

    I'm feeling like I'm ready to start some light training now, but I don't want to overdo it. It will
    be at least a few more days before I am back to 100%.

    Once Im feeling back to 100% (or close to it), should I do short high intensity workouts, or should
    I work on (re)building aerobic endurance. What would be best for someone who was forced to take a
    week off, two weeks before a race?

    I was planning on a short taper, about 3 or four days, before the sprint, and then moderate
    training for one week after the sprint and taper for about a week before the olympic. Now I'm not
    sure what to
    do.

    At this point, I'm thinking the sprint race will just be part of my training for the olympic. I was
    hoping for a personal best, but now I am not sure I'll be up to it.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you,

  2. "Ed Brenton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I had a pretty good training plan in place, but just this last weekend I came down with the flu.
    At a time when I was planning on doing some of my heaviest swim and bike training I've ended up
    spending four days on the couch.

    You might want to take a hard look at your training. It depends, of course, on where you are located
    but this is probably not flu season for you. When you are overtraining yourself, one of the side
    affects is a lowered resistance. It could just be a coincidence but you might want to take a look at
    some of the other symptoms of overtraining and see if they fit.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm feeling like I'm ready to start some light training now, but I don't want to overdo it. It
    will be at least a few more days before I am back to 100%.

    Listen to your body. Do your light training and if it's not ready your boddy will tell you so.

    Quoted message said:

    Once Im feeling back to 100% (or close to it), should I do short high intensity workouts, or
    should I work on (re)building aerobic endurance. What would be best for someone who was forced to
    take a week off, two weeks before a race?

    At a week and a half before your sprint you'll be getting close to taper time. I would just
    follow your regular taper schedule for that and look at the race as a training day with a lot of
    people around. If you try to race it, you stand a good chance of hurting your performance in your
    Olympic race.

    Quoted message said:

    I was planning on a short taper, about 3 or four days, before the sprint, and then moderate
    training for one week after the sprint and taper for about a week before the olympic. Now I'm not
    sure what to
    do.

    At this point, I'm thinking the sprint race will just be part of my training for the olympic. I
    was hoping for a personal best, but now I am not sure I'll be up to it.

    Guess I should have read the whole thing first. Looks like you anwered your own question with the
    same answer I gave.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.