Training ? - Is Flax Seed for Real?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gary Mishler, May 12, 2003.

  1. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    I hope this isn't too off-topic.

    A few weeks ago there was a thread on here about training and weight loss that mentioned Flax Seed.
    My question is - Is Flax Seed for real in helping with diet/exercise/weight loss, or is it one of
    the health food "Fads" that comes and goes?

    Thanks, Mish

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Gary Mishler
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I hope this isn't too off-topic.

    Not off topic, but probably good for a long and vicious thread. :)

    >A few weeks ago there was a thread on here about training and weight loss that mentioned Flax Seed.
    >My question is - Is Flax Seed for real in helping with diet/exercise/weight loss, or is it one of
    >the health food "Fads" that comes and goes?

    The only weight-loss plan I know of that _isn't_ a fad is changing the ratio of calories consumed
    (eating) to calories burned (exercising). The rest is just smoke. Personally I find it a lot more
    enjoyable to increase the exercise than reduce the eating. The hard part is figuring out how to
    live with the exercise program - doing it frequently enough and working hard enough to get results.
    Oddly enough, focus on the exercise program is what you need after you're done starving yourself
    too - even if the diet part works for you, it will fail eventually unless the exercise part is
    dialed in as well.

    I have nothing against flax seed per se, but there are no magic weapons. Eating high quality food is
    always a good idea.

    --Paul

  3. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I hope this isn't too off-topic.
    >
    > A few weeks ago there was a thread on here about training and weight loss that mentioned Flax
    > Seed. My question is - Is Flax Seed for real in
    helping
    > with diet/exercise/weight loss, or is it one of the health food "Fads"
    that
    > comes and goes?

    I should have also asked if it really helps lower LDL cholesterol.

    Mish

  4. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    >My question is - Is Flax Seed ... one of the health food "Fads" that comes and goes?

    Mostly goes. Flax seed is one of the principal components of Uncle Sam's Laxative Cereal, and for
    the obvious reason.

  5. Jeb

    Jeb Guest

    >I have nothing against flax seed per se, but there are no magic weapons. Eating high quality food
    >is always a good idea.

    I'll second this opinion. Eat good "fuel". Obviously a high fat content isn't helpful if you are
    dealing with cholesterol problems. It's a lot of work burning off excess calories.

  6. Nospam Maam

    Nospam Maam Guest

    Of course it's a fad. If you could eat your way thin, there would be no overweight people in
    this country.

    Gary Mishler wrote:
    > I hope this isn't too off-topic.
    >
    > A few weeks ago there was a thread on here about training and weight loss that mentioned Flax
    > Seed. My question is - Is Flax Seed for real in helping with diet/exercise/weight loss, or is it
    > one of the health food "Fads" that comes and goes?
    >
    > Thanks, Mish

  7. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    Someone with no known identity writes:

    > Of course it's a fad. If you could eat your way thin, there would be no overweight people in this
    > country.

    Gee, thanks for the complex and informative reply. You sound like a true expert.

    My Pharmacist, Registered Dietitian and M.D. all recommend flaxseed IN ADDITION to proper diet and
    exercise to help lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. They explain that flaxseed nuts and
    oil are rich in the same Omega-3 fatty acids that salmon, tuna, and many other foods contain which
    are known to help reduce cholesterol and help prevent heart disease.

    Since my last physical in early March I have increased exercise and decreased food portions
    resulting in losing 12 lbs (so far!). I am also eating more fruit and veggies, less "junk food",
    and almost eliminated caffeine. Also I am eating more fish and yes, eating flaxseed nuts on my
    morning cereal and taking flaxseed oil capsules with my daily multi-vitamin as per my Dietitian and
    Doctor's advice.

    If in July my blood work shows that my borderline high LDL and triglycerides and coming down I will
    attribute it to a combination of ALL of the above, including partially the flaxseed .

    Regards, Mish

  8. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Since my last physical in early March I have increased exercise and decreased food portions
    > resulting in losing 12 lbs (so far!). I am also eating more fruit and veggies, less "junk food",

    You've done very well, right there. Well done!

    I figure that could well be the most solid base on which to build a general health-improvement
    program. Along with at least minimizing as much as possible, intake of refined carbs and trans-fats.

    Only /after/ the above, comes fine-tuning for more specific goals, with selected supplementary
    things -- whether for cholesterol reduction, weight loss, detoxification, or re-vitalizing.

    Well, that's my approach anyways. It seems reasonable to me that eating right in the first place
    makes subsequent fine-tunings more effective. It sounds like you've got the same idea.

    Of course I'm not averse to the occasional guilty treat ;-) Just not a steady stream of 'em.

    I find my enjoyment of riding induces me to eat well. It's an upward spiral.

    cheers, Tom