Training load of L4 Vs L5 intervals

peterwright

Mar 5, 2003
What session has a higher training load / TSS ;

2x20 L4 (high)
5x5 L5

Trying to plan them into my week and want to place them correctly - i.e before or after L4.

Thanks

peterwright said:
What session has a higher training load / TSS ;

2x20 L4 (high)
5x5 L5

Trying to plan them into my week and want to place them correctly - i.e before or after L4.

Thanks
TSS depends on the exact interval power %FT and to a lesser extent your rest interval power and duration.

But they are typically pretty darned close ...

For example (excluding warmup/cooldown):

2x20 @1.0FT with 5RI @0.5FT -> 70 TSS
5x5 @1.15FT with 2.5RI @0.5FT -> 60 TSS

Or the Coggan-approved :) 6x5 would give you 72 TSS.

Personally I'd do the highest intensity work when freshest (early in the week)regardless of any slight differences in TSS. And in case, the differences I've noted here are not really significant on a day-to-day basis.

I hope that helps? Maybe I've misunderstood your question.

rmur

rmur17 said:
TSS depends on the exact interval power %FT and to a lesser extent your rest interval power and duration.

But they are typically pretty darned close ...

For example (excluding warmup/cooldown):

2x20 @1.0FT with 5RI @0.5FT -> 70 TSS
5x5 @1.15FT with 2.5RI @0.5FT -> 60 TSS

Or the Coggan-approved :) 6x5 would give you 72 TSS.

Personally I'd do the highest intensity work when freshest (early in the week)regardless of any slight differences in TSS. And in case, the differences I've noted here are not really significant on a day-to-day basis.

I hope that helps? Maybe I've misunderstood your question.

rmur

Thanks - you have answered my question :)

Why 2.5 minute rest instead of 5 min rest? Thanks.
Also, if one were incorporating L5 work into block training, would it be better to lower the time of the L5 interval (say to 3 min) and maybe increase the wattage (say from 1.2 to 1.3 * FT) or attempt to complete the same workout 2 days in a row? Thanks.