Training Log problem - Excel gurus?

bing181

Oct 23, 2004
I have an Excel training Log that I found on the net and have adapted for my own use. Works fine for what i need.

But ... time needs to be entered in minutes for the average speed calculation to work. I would rather enter time in hh:min:sec format (01:43:56 for ex), but then can't work out how to convert that back to minutes (or preferably seconds) for the average speed calc. to work.

I need 01:43:56 to come up as "seconds" in the calculation.

Anyone know how to do this?

B

(sorry for the slightly OT post)

bing181 said:
I have an Excel training Log that I found on the net and have adapted for my own use. Works fine for what i need.

But ... time needs to be entered in minutes for the average speed calculation to work. I would rather enter time in hh:min:sec format (01:43:56 for ex), but then can't work out how to convert that back to minutes (or preferably seconds) for the average speed calc. to work.

Um.... you could do the calculation manually (stop me if I've missed your point and being too basic here :eek: ). To get to seconds that'd be (01 x 3600) + (43 x 60) + 56 = 6236 seconds.

Or, if you're hoping someone will fix the spreadsheet or tell you how to do it, then you might post it here (either zipped, or by changing the file extension to .doc before attaching it) so we can see exactly what you're looking at. :)

bing181 said:

B

(sorry for the slightly OT post)
Brute Force method, if your time value is in cell "N24", seconds are
=SECOND(N24)+60*MINUTE(N24)+3600*HOUR(N24)

sidewind said:
Brute Force method, if your time value is in cell "N24", seconds are
=SECOND(N24)+60*MINUTE(N24)+3600*HOUR(N24)

Aha, OK thanks .. or alternatively as someone mailed me off-list .. N24*60*60*24 .. the "time" in hours minutes second is actually stored as a single number/integer which is a kind of fraction of a day expressed in hours ... so, multiplying by a straight conversion hours > seconds works if the result is a "number" cell and not a "time" cell. Er .. if that makes sense. Not really to me, but it works.

Thanks again.

B