Training Log

VO2. Very impressed with the BikeProLog. Pity you cannot seem to be able to download data from a Polar HRM? I like the contact search feature. I see I am their only member in South Africa! Would also be nice to be able to contact members in your own age range. (I have long since been unable to compete in the 20 - 30 age group!). :(

OUZO. In Polar Precision I am having the same problem. I only have COM1 & COM2 on my computer. No place for a COM3. To use the infra red connection I have to physically unplug my modem to plug in the IR interface. Not a problem during the week but weekends I am in continuous connection to the net, so I drop the line each time. :mad: I have managed to get around this by using SonicLink. You go to "Tools", "HR Monitor Connection", then when it says IR connection go to "Skip". Having said that today for some reason the "Skip" option doesn't appear! :mad: Also I believe the SonicLink will only transfer data, computer to watch, and not vice versa?

VO2. Shortened the radio transmit range between speed sensor and watch to 30cm and now works fine.  :)  Strange works on the MTB at 50cm!? Maybe something to do with frames. Road bike is metal, MTB is aluminium.
Meanwhile I had contacted Polar in Finland and got a very quick response. They gave me tech details of how to extend the radio range by disassembling the speed sensor. Not necessary now but nice to know.

John, that sounds interesting. Could you possibly post the instructions here? I'd like to have a look at that ;)

VO2. Very impressed with the BikeProLog. Pity you cannot seem to be able to download data from a Polar HRM? I like the contact search feature. I see I am their only member in South Africa! Would also be nice to be able to contact members in your own age range. (I have long since been unable to compete in the 20 - 30 age group!). :(

Hmm, that's strange. I joined as a member early this morning, as vo2 from SA.
Here's my profile

OUZO. In Polar Precision I am having the same problem. I only have COM1 & COM2 on my computer. No place for a COM3. To use the infra red connection I have to physically unplug my modem to plug in the IR interface. Not a problem during the week but weekends I am in continuous connection to the net, so I drop the line each time. :mad: I have managed to get around this by using SonicLink. You go to "Tools", "HR Monitor Connection", then when it says IR connection go to "Skip". Having said that today for some reason the "Skip" option doesn't appear!  :mad: Also I believe the SonicLink will only transfer data, computer to watch, and not vice versa?

Computers usually only come with a COM1 and 2, but you can overcome this by purchasing a COM extender interface. Even better, if you have an old ISA IDE interface card laying around somewhere, you can rig it up as a extra COM port in your mobo (goto a computer repair shop, they might even give you one, as these cards are'nt really used anymore).

Regarding SonicLink and uploading from your pc to your HRM - you most difinitely can. I upload exercise sets to my S510 and to my wifes S410 - easy as pie!

VO2. My LCS has somehow given me a COM5 so maintaining connection problem is solved. Polar says the S710 will be coming out soon with a USB connection. The S710 does not come with SonicLink. Pity. It has UpLink instead which will only transfer data computer -> watch and not viceversa. (And of course the IR interface)

One of the main uses of a log, quite apart from the graphs and analysis of the ride, is the comments and notes you make about the ride at the time. Important to do that "at the time"! The more details and info the better. Maybe you've just done a ride so bad (or good!) that you think you will NEVER EVER forget the details! But a few months down the road you want to refer to want went wrong (or right!) but you cannot remember the date. Here a good search engine is necessary. For example, with CrossTrak, if I enter "neck" it will come up with everything about the neck problem I had the year before last and how I got sorted out. Or it will list all the rides I did with "Jim". Or what went wrong with last years Argus? (Too many long fast rides and not enough long slow rides. Difficult without a HRM. Attempts at carboloading by eating food I was not used to meant I did not eat enough of ANYTHING in
the days before in a strange environment, etc).

Hi John, glad you got sorted-out with your PC. ;)
I'm stunned to hear that the S710 can only connect one way. I would of thought that the flagship of HRM's came with ALL the features. Why would Polar skip on something like that, though, I wonder?

Regarding training logs and comments, I could'nt agree with you more. I felt strong and loaded for last years 94.7, but could'nt remember what I had used for CHO-loading or what I had for breakfast and at what time. I'm now a firm believer in notes.

BikeProLog certainly looks good to me ;) Will find the discipline to record everything! A real benefit from being part of CyclingForums. Thanks

When I bought my mtb I also bought an extra speed sensor for my Polar s510. Installed every thing and it did not pic up. took it to cycleab. they spent a whole day with it, relocating the sensor all over the place with no luck, eventually the tech guy from polar goes there (he is there every wednesday). He opens the sensor up, turns a screw and viola it works.

I now have a problem with my cadence sensor on my road bike. It works for about 5 minutes then stops, then works for a while then stops. I'm assuming the battery is flat, anyone know how long these things should last ?

VO2, do you have anymore info on Crosstrack ? did you get your old data files imported ?

Crosstrack.com does not seem to work for me, anyone got another addy for them ?

Ouzo, to be honest with you, I have'nt looked at CrossTrak again since joining BikeProLog. Once they have sorted out the problems between the programe and Polar HRM's, I'll take another look.

I think the CrossTrak site is down by the look of things.

Crosstrack 2.06 beta now available - includes polar HRM patch for linking to HRM.

Busy downloading it, will check it out and provide feedback.

Is it worth buying a Polar. I was looking at buying a S510, but at the moment my M52 and Sigma BC1400 can do just about everything (except maybe the intervals :mad: ). The other problem is the availability of the cadence meter (a "can't cycle without" extra) for the Polar. Could anyone give me some input please.

Welcome to the board, ewep. 8)
The two main reasons I went for the S510 were the cycling features (average, distance etc.) and the ability to upload/download data. If I had a bigger budget back then, I would of bought myself a S710. If you can do without all those extra features, then the M52 is the next best thing. You can create a training log spreadsheet and manually add the data gathered from your HRM and cycloputer to display allsorts of fancy graphs etc. It's all the same really. Just depends what you want from your HRM.

Has anyone tried the CrossTrak program. I downloaded ver 2.0.6 (the Polar version, I am a programmer so sorry for the jargon 8) but it does not seem to import my HRM files. Can anyone tell me if they have figured this out. I don't even know what file to use (I have a Polar S510)

Hi Eweb. I've been using CrossTrak for about 2 years. I haven't found a better (free! ;D) log yet. I have a Polar S710. On the CrossTrak you can set up your HRM data path in "Athlete Setup". However when you try to download you get a message "Invalid HRM data path in Athlete Setup" (even although it's right!). You then have the option of going manually to the correct path, then it downloads. CrossTrak say they are working with Polar for a solution which will be available "sometime" this year! ::)

I received an e-mail from CrossTrak today. I asked about the import of the S510 files. The CrossTrak people said that the S510 files can not be imported yet. They are at the moment busy working along with Polar to solve the problem. The current CrossTrak version 2.0.6 would thus not work on the S410/S510 training files. :(

CycLogs

Anyone who wants to try a new free online training log, my new cycle stats site http://www.cyclogs.co.uk is now ready to accept new users.

It's totally free to use, and I will be adding to and enhancing the current functionality on an ongoing basis, taking user feedback into consideration.

If anyone has any problems accessing or using the site, or any other comments, please contact me at [email protected].

Cheers

Jules
[email protected]

Hi

If anyone is looking for a way to record their cycling or running performance then can i suggest my site - www.gymbob.com ?

The site allows users to record their training sessions and details like morning weight and heartrate. Their is also a silver membership where users can get access to analysis tools in return for helping to improve the site

So give the site a try, and please contact us on [email protected] if you have any problems

Thanks

Martin
www.gymbob.com