Training motivation

James Dalton

Jul 22, 2003
I have recently hit a real motivation low when it comes to getting out and training.

Does anyone have an idea about getting through it? I just feel lazy and tired - then guilty about that later on.

Any ideas would be great.

Use this time to reflect on this past season and the progress you've made. What are your strengths, weaknesses? What did you set out to do, and how well did you do it?

Then start thinking about next season. Set some goals for yourself, and come up with some ideas to correct or improve on the things you did this year. I'm always more motivated when I have a goal ahead of me. It might be too early to jump on that goal right now, but keep it in mind while you relax and have some fun before you start hitting it hard again.

Ride with a group. When I do group rides, with a coffee with everybody afterwards, it doesn't seem like a training ride at all -- it's just fun.

James Dalton said:
I have recently hit a real motivation low when it comes to getting out and training.

Does anyone have an idea about getting through it? I just feel lazy and tired - then guilty about that later on.

we have all been there. take in a couple group rides or join up with a local team. When i lack the motivation i hop on my cruiser and go have fun, or i go skiing, or for a hike to relax.

James Dalton said:

Did you hit a plateau? Are you unsatisfied with your performance level? What are your goals?

SolarEnergy said:
Did you hit a plateau? Are you unsatisfied with your performance level? What are your goals?

Not unsatisfied - just feel that I need a break. I have trained and raced consistently since January this year without a break and have just lost the impetus to get out of bed and get riding.

I am sure it will go - and as such am just not going to touch the bike this week - and start again next week.

I used to be burned out of running ... not that I was racing or anything but I did not want to run at all after 16 weeks of running 6 days a week - and do a 14 mile by myself.

You have probably reached a plateu, got pains and aches? .... Probably you need more ice cream! That gets me motivated!

When I dont want to go out at all ....I just go to the ice cream store for a ride. 2 miles downhill and 3 miles uphill. Get the as much as I can eat, then go home the long way around. It gets me going for a good 15 miles while I am lazy.

You probably need to treat yourself a little more

I burned out on swimming. 5:45 AM 1.5 hr practices 5-6 days a week, for several years... Throw in some land work the last few months. Yep. Burnt out.

Take some time off- like a week or two and cross train. Maybe just ride 2-3 Xs a week for a while, and X-train. Then again, what do I know? :)

Keep us updated and good luck...

huhenio said:
I used to be burned out of running ... not that I was racing or anything but I did not want to run at all after 16 weeks of running 6 days a week - and do a 14 mile by myself.

You have probably reached a plateu, got pains and aches? .... Probably you need more ice cream! That gets me motivated!

When I dont want to go out at all ....I just go to the ice cream store for a ride. 2 miles downhill and 3 miles uphill. Get the as much as I can eat, then go home the long way around. It gets me going for a good 15 miles while I am lazy.

You probably need to treat yourself a little more