Training My Kids

Discussion in 'Next Generation' started by Gelsemium, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

This summer I started to ride my bike again regularly, due to my kids. My almost 8 year old can already accompany me in long rides, but the smaller one is just 5, so he's still adapting to the lack of training wheels. I really want them to use their bikes as I think it's a great way to be healthy, save money and know new places. My younger kid is still afraid to fall though, any tips on this?

Tags:
    CypemernAppef likes this.

2. BrockJohn

BrockJohn New Member

In my experience there's no really easy way to get this fear out of your kids except for trial and error. I remember my first experience bicycling without support-wheels, my father would put a broomstick in the back of the bike so as to keep me balanced, one day the broomstick broke, and I went plummetting down the steep hill on which we lived at the time, fell over the front of the bike and smashed my face. Bled a lot, but I wasn't afraid after that, and now bicycle everyday. So the fear is natural, but it will go away, even if it becomes reality.

So to actually answer your topic and question instead of writing you weird and irrelevant analogies of my childhood:

Make sure you teach them to bike in an environment that is safe and in which they feel comfortable. Take them biking on grass so they're not afraid of falling as much perhaps.

3. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI New Member

Growing up surrounded by bikes, I stress the importance of safety first. Your child will be able to learn how to a ride a bike, but bad habits can form. Make sure to instill the rules of the road to them while they are growing up.

My only advice for you is to keep trying. Be a good role model for them. Never give up, because the only way to learn something is through trial and error. Soon they'll be right next to you, riding at the same speed!

4. goldenmaine

goldenmaine New Member

[SIZE=10.5pt]I remember when my father used to teach me also how to ride a bike without training wheels at around the age of your kids. It was very fun and memorable to me. You do it slowly so that they will not be shocked. Show them that riding a bike is fun and you can go to new places and you can take them to places which are very scenic and beautiful so that they can appreciate what cycling can bring them. [/SIZE]

5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

Everyone says that riding a bike is something we never forget, what everything fails to mention is that it's hard to teach a kid how to ride lol! I still remember when I learned, actually I didn't learn, my friends just told me to pedal as hard as I could and off I go... :)

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Member

My kids are well versed in the art of biking. My god children? Not so much. I try to get them to ride together but my kids, literally, ride circles around them. It seems to be because of the exact thing you mention: Fear. They'd rather walk the bike than ride it. That's just crazy talk. Their mother covers them in pads, gloves them up, straps the helmets on & still there is that fear for them. All the protection in the world doesn't inherently change someones attitude.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

Pretty much, I don't know if it'a a matter of age. My 7 year old fears nothing, but the 5 year old has a lot of fear, so maybe that will go away with time. Unfortunately while is doesn't we can't ride as a family.

8. shilpa123

shilpa123 New Member

I do believe that fear of the children reduces with time. I think it is very important that a person understand how to take care of their children when they are scared. The best thing to do is not to push them too much is they are too scared.

9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

Yes, I am not putting any pressure on him. My older one learned in a few days, so I guess that the younger just needs time, he's just 5... For me the time passes slow though because he really jams the family dynamic. :D

10. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

Oh wow it looks like your 8 year old could become a pretty nice biker some day in the future. I'd say keep biking and keep trying to help out your 5 year old daughter until she gets comfortable with riding. It usually takes others longer or shorter depending on them.

11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Member

Actually I just want him to have fun. I used to ride with my dad when I was younger, 12 or 13, so he's starting early. I always had that love for biking, it's something that only those who ride can understand.

12. kana_marie

kana_marie Member

I was afraid of falling when I was young. My suggestion is to do what my parents did... Let him fall. Not only will he see it isn't as bad as he suspects, but he'll be more cautious to try to not fall again.