Training Off-Season?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Well the daily high temps here is SE PA are consistently below freezing and snow and ice are
    predicted for Friday. While I am still commuting on my Stratus I expect that will end by the weekend
    with the snow. So what are you all doing over the winter to stay in shape?

    Jim

    Tags:

  2. Ron Levine

    Ron Levine Guest

    On 3 Dec 2003 10:01:07 -0800, [email protected] (stratrider) wrote:

    >Well the daily high temps here is SE PA are consistently below freezing and snow and ice are
    >predicted for Friday. While I am still commuting on my Stratus I expect that will end by the
    >weekend with the snow. So what are you all doing over the winter to stay in shape?

    Living in California

  3. Jim: get yourself a fluid trainer and go for at LEAST an hour a day or more. i am currently doing
    1-3 hrs a day on my trainer to try and stay in shape for next season.if you don't that first long
    ride next season will be a nightmare. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

  4. Tc Hazzard

    Tc Hazzard Guest

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well the daily high temps here is SE PA are consistently below freezing and snow and ice are
    > predicted for Friday. While I am still commuting on my Stratus I expect that will end by the
    > weekend with the snow. So what are you all doing over the winter to stay in shape?

    I bought a velomobile, which is basically a fully enclosed rcumbent trike. See
    http://www.hazbro.com/mango for more details.

  5. Shortboat

    Shortboat Guest

    I I hope you fall into the ocean. JN from MN

  6. H

    H Guest

    1) Swim (there's a pool not far from work). Laps aren't a thrill a minute, but it's better than
    watching my butt get big
    2) if it snows here this winter like it did last, I'm thinking pretty hard about getting some XC
    skis. Would love to commute into work on those!

    Howard

    (also commuting on a strat on a day by day basis).

  7. Fortunately, I can commute pretty much year round. If the weather is too nasty to do my usual 10
    mile lunchtime ride, I climb stairs. I work in a 10 story building. I'll usually do the stairwell 10
    times followed by a couple of miles of laps (on my bike) in the parking garage in the basement of
    the building.

    I'm looking forward to our next building. It will have a 6 or 7 story underground parking facility.
    I hope that will be just the ticket for those days that we have our lovely North West rain.

    William Higley, Sr. (Living the good life in the Pacific Northwest) (By the way ~ How many slugs
    does it take to screw in a lightbulb? ~ Only one, but it won't enjoy itself very much.) Vision R-50
    RANS Rocket "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well the daily high temps here is SE PA are consistently below freezing and snow and ice are
    > predicted for Friday. While I am still commuting on my Stratus I expect that will end by the
    > weekend with the snow. So what are you all doing over the winter to stay in shape?
    >
    > Jim

  8. Joe Keenan

    Joe Keenan Guest

    [email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well the daily high temps here is SE PA are consistently below freezing and snow and ice are
    > predicted for Friday. While I am still commuting on my Stratus I expect that will end by the
    > weekend with the snow. So what are you all doing over the winter to stay in shape?
    >
    > Jim

    Jim,

    (1) Ride outdoors. You can ride as long as the temp is 30 degrees or above. You generate a lot of
    heat when riding. Dress in layers and enjoy the bike.

    (2) Gym riding: Most gyms have "recumbent exercycles". I find exercycles at a gym more fun and
    interesting than an at home indoor trainer. Hmmm, maybe it's the side distractions?

    (3) Gym Weight Training: You can use the Leg Press and other similar machines to build your glutes
    and quads.

    (4) Indoor Trainer: You might be able to find one on ebay, etc. for $100. Otherwise, a good $200
    cyclops works.

    (5) Pray for a warm winter.

    Good Luck.....

    Slow Joe Recumbo

  9. Wolverbents

    Wolverbents Guest

    1-3 hours a day on a trainer? What do you think about when pedelling? Man, I can only take
    30 minutes!

  10. Jay

    Jay Guest

    >So what are you all doing over the winter to stay in shape?

    Ride my trikes outside in the snow.