Training on a mountain bike

txgolfer75077

May 1, 2006
Hello. I have recently gotten very interested in cycling. My question is, I have a VERY cheap mountain bike(it was my brothers and it's about 10 years old and ONLY has 2 working gears). I am currently saving up for a road bike, hopefully I will have one at the end of the summer. Anyway, what I was wondering is, am I able to get in good shape on a mountain bike? I would like to start racing next year and I was just wondering if riding on the mountain bike is actually helping or if I should just wait to train until I get a road bike. Also, How far should I expect to ride? I know that many of the races are 100 miles or just over, well I cannot ride that far on a mountain bike. I haven't really ridden as far as I can, but I would say that I could ride about 20 miles.(I live in a VERY hilly area(I would say about 30 or 35 miles on fairly flat terrain)) Will getting a road bike increase that distance? Also, how fast should I expect to improve. I started biking about 3 weeks ago and could only ride about 5 miles max in low gear(I have the 3 gears in the front and 7 in the back, 2 of the back ones work and in the front I have to move them by hand, so I really have 4 working gears(the 3rd in the front wont work)) After about a week I moved my front gears to the second set which makes it twice as hard to peddle, I dont even notice now. I can now ride pretty far, how long should I expect to improve like this.

P.S. I have asthma. It's not as bad as it used to be, infact, I don't even really notice it, but I was wondering if anyone else has asthma and could give me any advice.

Sorry if this is stupid but I just started so I dont really know anything about cycling.

first of all, good decision to start biking.
i think any riding will help you improve your fitness and technique. as long as the bike fits you, that is...
Until you find a road bike, why not tune up your current ride so you can use all gears? if not, just get out and enjoy what you have. but a road bike will certainly increase the distance you can comfortably go.
don't worry about mileage, though, just ride.
racing is a small part of the biking world (and there are races in all distances!)
you gotta walk before you can race, so to speak.
try set smaller biking goals than "i want to race next year."
like...i will do this ride in this much time.
i will get a road bike! a helmet. clipless pedals...
i will finish a local charity ride of this distance...etc.
main thing is ENJOY!

i don't know. just some of my quick thoughts.

where are you? how old? what's your handicap?

I don't think that wanting to race next year is too high of a goal, go for it! Give 'em hell!!! If you're willing to train on the less-than-desirable equipment that you currently have and like it, having a decent road bike will open up a whole new (and probably more enjoyable) world. You can race next year, especially if you train throughout the winter and are in somewhat decent physical condition now. That's why they have different categories. Last year I started racing after doing spin classes 3 hours a week for 3 months prior to the season. As far as your improvement, you'll see the greatest improvements early on. Simply because you're starting at a low level. The biggest factor in determining how far you can go is your fitness, so keep on pedaling!

txgolfer75077 said:
I'm in Dallas,Texas. I'm 16. handicap? what are you talking about?
your id is tx golfer, so i thought you're a golfer, hence the handicap question...
sorry.

i agree with bikindude, go for racing if you want, but my point was first things first.

Yeah, My handicap is a 5.4. I am going to try and fix my bike today. I need to get a new tire, my front one is completely bald, it's through the rubber.