Training on a recumbent?

Alan Walker

Guest
How well would training on a recumbent cross-over to a regular bike (for
triathlon)?

I design software for a living and like to do Ironman triathlons. So, I was
thinking of getting a second-hand recumbent and putting it on a trainer.
Next, fabricate a keyboard and monitor that I can use while pedaling.
Finding a sweat-proof keyboard or keyboard cover should not be a problem. I
have a spare room and heaps of space to set it up. This would let me get in
the equivalent of 50-60 miles every day (or more), then do a long ride on
the weekend.

Anybody tried this already?

Thanks,
Alan.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Alan Walker" <[email protected]> wrote:

> How well would training on a recumbent cross-over to a regular bike (for
> triathlon)?

I don't know, but I thought I'd comment that I saw someone riding a
recumbent in a half-ironman race yesterday. The race was USAT certified,
and I thought recumbents were illegal.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

"Alan Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How well would training on a recumbent cross-over to a regular bike (for
> triathlon)?
>
> I design software for a living and like to do Ironman triathlons. So, I

was
> thinking of getting a second-hand recumbent and putting it on a trainer.
> Next, fabricate a keyboard and monitor that I can use while pedaling.
> Finding a sweat-proof keyboard or keyboard cover should not be a problem.

> have a spare room and heaps of space to set it up. This would let me get

in
> the equivalent of 50-60 miles every day (or more), then do a long ride on
> the weekend.
>
> Anybody tried this already?

That's a crazy idea! All I can say is good luck with it and let us know how
it goes!

If you intend to ride a Tri bike then the recumbent will do nothing except
help to develop your cardio/vascular system and a different set of muscles.
You must be specific in your training unless you are simply going out for
the distance and care little about improving performance. Even slight
difference in position from a training bike to your actual racing machine
can make a significant difference in your race day performance. In events
of IM distance it can make the difference in finishing or bailing out with
physical problems.

Ken

"Alan Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How well would training on a recumbent cross-over to a regular bike (for
> triathlon)?
>
> I design software for a living and like to do Ironman triathlons. So, I
> was
> thinking of getting a second-hand recumbent and putting it on a trainer.
> Next, fabricate a keyboard and monitor that I can use while pedaling.
> Finding a sweat-proof keyboard or keyboard cover should not be a problem.
> have a spare room and heaps of space to set it up. This would let me get
> in
> the equivalent of 50-60 miles every day (or more), then do a long ride on
> the weekend.
>
> Anybody tried this already?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan.

In article <[email protected]>, alan-walker-hater-of-
[email protected] says...
> How well would training on a recumbent cross-over to a regular bike (for
> triathlon)?
>
> I design software for a living and like to do Ironman triathlons. So, I was
> thinking of getting a second-hand recumbent and putting it on a trainer.
> Next, fabricate a keyboard and monitor that I can use while pedaling.
> Finding a sweat-proof keyboard or keyboard cover should not be a problem. I
> have a spare room and heaps of space to set it up. This would let me get in
> the equivalent of 50-60 miles every day (or more), then do a long ride on
> the weekend.
>
> Anybody tried this already?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan.

Others have made good comments about training on a recumbent. But if you
intend to be a just a BOP'er I think it can be done.

But, I am more curious about how you will write or design software while
riding. I am a software engineer and IT architect myself and I cannot
imagine myself doing software work while riding. Maybe if you go
veeeerrrryyy slow you can do some work, but then that will not be like
any real training. Do you really think you can do it? Did you ever try
it?

Good luck, whichever your choice may be.
--
Burak
please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply

Burak Ilter wrote:
<<SNIP>>
> But, I am more curious about how you will write or design software while
> riding. I am a software engineer and IT architect myself and I cannot
> imagine myself doing software work while riding. Maybe if you go
> veeeerrrryyy slow you can do some work, but then that will not be like
> any real training. Do you really think you can do it? Did you ever try
> it?
>
> Good luck, whichever your choice may be.
> --
> Burak
> please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply

Off Topic:

Same here. I used to see the little lecturns marketed for exercise
bikes. It was so you could prop a book in front of you while you
reading the paper/book.

I could never write a script. I am so focused during a workout that it
is like having tunnel vision.

rsquared

When I use a stationary bike at the gym I always read, as my attention span
is about 5 minutes otherwise. I can sit on a HR or 145 for an hour or two
(I'm 41 years old) and get a good aerobic workout if I'm distracted. I also
find that I can work really hard on my Computrainer if I'm watching South
Park.

Still, that's not developing software. A lot of what I need to do is manage
projects these days, so I'm replying to a lot of emails, most don't take a
lot of imagination, just time to keep things coordinated. I'm looking for a
way to get my mileage up and get my bike split down around 5 hours, help get
my butt back to Kona. I thought about a regular bike position, but I don't
know how well I could type while leaning forward.

Thanks for all your input, if I get around to trying this I'll let you know.

Alan.

"rsquared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Burak Ilter wrote:
> <<SNIP>>
> > But, I am more curious about how you will write or design software while
> > riding. I am a software engineer and IT architect myself and I cannot
> > imagine myself doing software work while riding. Maybe if you go
> > veeeerrrryyy slow you can do some work, but then that will not be like
> > any real training. Do you really think you can do it? Did you ever try
> > it?
> >
> > Good luck, whichever your choice may be.
> > --
> > Burak
> > please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply

> Off Topic:
>
> Same here. I used to see the little lecturns marketed for exercise
> bikes. It was so you could prop a book in front of you while you
> reading the paper/book.
>
> I could never write a script. I am so focused during a workout that it
> is like having tunnel vision.
>
> rsquared

In article <[email protected]>, alan-walker-hater-of-
[email protected] says...
> When I use a stationary bike at the gym I always read, as my attention span
> is about 5 minutes otherwise. I can sit on a HR or 145 for an hour or two
> (I'm 41 years old) and get a good aerobic workout if I'm distracted. I also
> find that I can work really hard on my Computrainer if I'm watching South
> Park.
>
> Still, that's not developing software. A lot of what I need to do is manage
> projects these days, so I'm replying to a lot of emails, most don't take a
> lot of imagination, just time to keep things coordinated. I'm looking for a
> way to get my mileage up and get my bike split down around 5 hours, help get
> my butt back to Kona. I thought about a regular bike position, but I don't
> know how well I could type while leaning forward.
>
> Thanks for all your input, if I get around to trying this I'll let you know.
>
> Alan.

Well then, it looks like it is a YMMV thing. I never thought anybody
would be able to do something like that.

I have difficulty in concentrating (so I do not use) even when using
headphones.

Good luck
--
Burak
please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply

I believe recumbant bikes utilize more hamstrings than a typical bike
so the comments about using different muscle groups would be true. If
you've gone this far to think of a recumbant strategy, why not go a
step further and see what you can do for a regular bike on a trainer?
I'm sure you could sell the thing when you were done, if it worked well
enough. . .

I set up a magazine rack with a page-sized maganifying glass attached a
few inches off the page so I could do some of the extensive reading
that was required for my degree while running on a treadmill. It is
difficult but there are ways around everything probably.

-Amie