training on a turbo trner

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by leanman, Dec 29, 2012.

1. leanman

leanman New Member

dont really know what they are called,a racermate, a wind trainer ,a turbo trainer. all i do is buy a tripod to hook my bike up on so when its 0 outside or its icy outside ican ride indoors on my regular bike. 100 bucks. nothing fancy. now, reading online, i seen a few posts saying 60 minutes on a trainer is like 90 minutes outside?????? where do they come up with this info? as a rider/racer these last 20+ years i know the feeling of what gear i'm in. outside if i'm just spinning i may be in a 53x 19. on the trainer, i may be in a 53x21 but the feeling in my legs is the same because of the tension on the trainer. bottom line is when i ride outside, i'm going on a flat 5 mile circut with no stops, peddal the full 3-4 hours nostop. no signs no rr tracks no lights to stop, no hills to coast down. when i ride inside on the trainer its peddal till the workout is over. where do the coaches and other people that post say 60 minutes on the trainer is like 90 outside?? makes no sense..

Tags:

2. POGATA

POGATA New Member

3. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're very lucky with outdoor routes that allow you to pedal the entire time and allow you to stay focused and on task. That's not true for many folks that ride outdoors and deal with traffic, intersections, rolling terrain or other issues that result in more coasting or more time spent at lower intensity outdoors.

Comparing power files from riders that ride both indoors and outdoors it generally takes quite a bit longer to accumulate the same amount of time in Tempo and above while riding outdoors and it's not unusual to see outdoor rides where nearly 20% of the time was spent coasting, not because riders were lazy but because of things like traffic lights, steeper descents, dealing with other road users, etc.

I'd say the 60 vs. 90 minutes is just a swag but it's probably a pretty decent estimate for a lot of riders at least in more urban areas or hillier areas where it's tough to stay on the gas continuously. If you have power data for your rides then compare them indoors to outdoors and maybe in your case it's a 1:1 in terms of quality time (define it how you want but time at least in L2 if not higher is a good start, I tend to look at time in Tempo/L3 or above) but from my own rides and those from riders I've worked with it's pretty unusual.

-Dave

4. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

I can imagine it is different for different people, plus it depends on what type of workouts you are doing. For me anything that requires any significant level of concentration is significantly harder inside, time just passes so damn slow. From looking at my files my 20 minute inside is basically my 60 outside. This last training block I was doing 1hr SST intervals at 280 watts inside and there were times I was really uncomfortable towards the end. Last Sunday's workout had me doing 3hrs straight at 280 watts, I was actually fortunate enough to do this on an old, flat, low traffic interstate and I literally had 3 stops signs and the only hills were a couple overpasses. So for me in that instance 60 minutes was actually = 180 minutes.

5. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Also, it almost sounds as if you have your bike setup on something that provides zero resistance?

6. leanman

leanman New Member

bgoetz,like my OP stated, the tension on my trainer feels exactly like a gear i ride in when i'm outside sppinning warming up. like all trainers, you can put it in the 39x27 and make it feel like a 53x11 by tightenin up the tension. so i have tension on it. i do a few routes, one where its country riding on great roads where there are no cars. 3-4-5 hrs, no lights signs or cars.then some loop courses, the same way. i wont ride city county streets where there are cars and a stop sign every 1/2 mile. i pedal the entire time.. thats why i wonder why 60 minutes is like 90 minutes to some..

dave , no i have no poeer tap or anything like that. i'm old school. average equipment.. at best.. just train very hard.. love smoking the guys with the 6k bikes and 2k wheels..those guys probably spend more time polishing their bike than training on it..
    i'm a nobody, but enjoy the hard training and racing.. 58 and still a cat 2.. and always in the mix in races....

7. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Well you have my observations, that for me I clearly produce more power outdoors. I guess you don't really know unless you had power, I wouldn't have known, it all "feels" the same the watts are just less.

8. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

As further proof, I looked at my avg HR for the first 1hr of my 280 watt 3hr effort outside it was 155 bpm. My 1hr 280 watt efforts indoors are consistently 162 bpm, 7 bpm higher.

9. TShame

TShame New Member

I would agree that it depends upon the trainer. I had a magnetic that I could push well over 50 kph. I wound up putting that on top of my old fan trainer. I like the kinetic, though like many now is expensive. The tougher it is, the less it may compare to outdoors for several reasons..

1. Even flat roads have some fluctuation which allows slight variations of power.
    2. You never truly 'coast' on a trainer. It rides more like a track bike.
    3. Even the best units are scaled to a 'normal' bike, not an aero time trial frame with aero wheels.

If it feels like the outdoors, then it is good for you. Try riding in the same gear as outside.