Training on Flat Terrain

Cprace1

Nov 6, 2005
I moved to the beach for school about a year ago, when I head home and experience some climbs I struggle a lot. I was wondering if anyone had a good routine for training on flat roads. Most of my routes are long flat roads where I travel one way for a good distance and then back. Most of the time I have a tail wind one way and a head wind the other. As of now I do not have a power meter, I do have a computer which reads cadence and heart rate if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Head winds are good training. I would also suggest you try training in higher gears for varying intervals to the point that you are struggling to mash the pedals if possible. This should help achieve better power.
Unfortunately I don't believe there is any substitute for training on the real stuff.
Also keep your weight reasonable.

I only have flats in my immediate area and was wondering the same things. As said above, train into the headwind when you can. Short sprints, especially into the headwind are good, and do your sprinting in different gears where your cadence is faster then slower so that you are building muscle strength and endurance. This is what all the magazines and books have been saying and it does seem to work. At least it tires me out!

I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.