Training on rollers

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by originalolol, Jun 7, 2006.

1. originalolol

originalolol New Member

Does anyone use roller?

Are they a good alternative for stationary machines?

Can you sprint on them? e.g. sprint intervals

If they are worth it can anyone suggest a good roller to buy?

Tags:

2. kennethn

kennethn New Member

Rollers are a great way to build bike handling skills. They're not good for intensity workouts or intervals since they have no real built-in resistance. I use them for my recovery rides - keep the intensity low and build bike handling skills.

Kreitler makes the best rollers IMO.

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

The advantage to rollers is that if you are not smooth (i.e., you bounce in the saddle at high cadence), the bike will bounce. So, rollers can help you become a smoother rider at high cadence.

The advantage to trainers with variable resistance is the ability to ride intervals at realistic road resistance.

I have ridden both and you couldn't give me a set of rollers. All I want out of an indoor ride is a way of riding intervals at precise power levels.

4. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Kreitler makes a bolt on fan that adds extra resistance to rollers, but you're still going to be re-decorating the kitchen if you jump up for a sprint interval. Personally, I find rollers to be a lot more comfortable than trainers because the bike moves around much more naturally.

5. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Not with this one...
    http://www.insideride.com/index.php...id=15&Itemid=36

Looks pretty cool, and I agree rollers are much better than a trainer, but I would only put up $795 if I lived up north again and couldn't ride year round. This would make indoor training a lot better IMO. Of course the bike tread mill they show on the site would be even better, but I am guessing since they only made one the $ is way too high.

Somebody on made a homemade version, I will see if I can find the link...

6. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

7. dkrenik

dkrenik Member

I'll add to the Kreitler recommendations. I've been using a set of "Alloys" with the "Killer Kool Headwind" fan and fork stand for ~10 years now. The headwind unit supplies ample resistance and you can do sprint work with the fork stand if it's too lowsy outside.

8. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

Kreitlers rock. I have a set of Alloys too. The first few times you try staying on them are priceless. ;) Seriously though, as others have said they're wonderful for smoothing your form.

9. JustCurious

JustCurious New Member

If you're looking for a more challenging workout without the add-on type resistance units, I'd consider the small, 2-1/4" diam Kreitler rollers.

With normal tire pressures, if you spin those rollers up to 25 or 26 mph you're putting out better than 350 watts of power... That's enough of a workout for anybody. Plus, your bike handling skills will improve.

The only things you probably can't do on them is simulate steep climbs and do hard, out of the saddle type sprints.

For me, unless you're talking about something like a Velodyne with real road-like ride characteristics, I'd take a set of small diameter rollers over a trainer any day...

10. miday

miday New Member

I have a set of Minoura Rollers with a mag resistance unit attached. Regularly do intervals up to 85% MHR. Have trainer too. Trainer only when I have to. The rollers are fantastic. MUCH better than trainers.

11. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

Do you have to use smooth tyres with no tread? My rollers seem to make a lot of noise.

12. mpm

mpm New Member

Of course use slicks.

Best regards.

Marcelo

13. miday

miday New Member

I run Rubino Pros. The rollers are quieter and smoother than the rim trainer I have which is virtually brand new.