Training on rollers

Originally Posted by phlypt . What I want to know though is, in this whole 9-year thread, no one seems to be starting w/o a wall or something to prop themselves up on. Seriously? Please, someone tell me you get to a point where you don't need to train in a doorway or next to a wall.
I usually don't use a wall but I have gotten on w/o anything to help me once or twice. It did take me multiple tries and I had to be in the right gear to start and I did fall and embarrass myself in front of people. Usually I just put a chair next to me when mounting my ride.
I have seen some guys bunny hop onto their rollers and start riding....that will never be me.

Regarding starting next to a wall --
I can start up rollering from standing over my bike without holding on to anything, and dismount by hopping sideways off, but I'm lazy. Sometimes, if I'm taking off a shirt or jacket, or wiping my glasses, I like to know that I can touch the wall for balance if needed. Given that if you ride in a pack you should know how to bump into someone without falling or knocking them over (assuming that others in the group are experienced enough to stay upright if someone leans on them) , it's handy to learn how to bump the wall with your shoulder or arm before you try bumping a real live person.

My main justification however, is that I am lazy and sometimes when I start focusing on a movie, or looking out the window, I tend to drift. It's nice to be able to stabilize yourself without getting all worked up about it.

I am always in a door jam when riding rollers indoors. I don't need it normally, but when pushing threshold intervals, I may lose focus and hit one side with a shoulder. I use them for race warm ups with my truck or car on one side.

I just got interested in rollers after a club mate offered me some. Spring weather has been so poor that I've spent more time indoors than ever before and fancied something other than my KK.

It took me 5-10 mins to go solo with help from an experienced rollers rider, and was start/stopping solo within about 20 mins. I doubt I'd have made it at all if I'd been on my own for the first time.... I ride next to a length of workbench in the garage, with that for support on only one side when I start, and have never tried in a doorway. Its only been a week, and about 5 sessions solo but I have been able to start riding confidently and am stable in the centre of the alu rollers, on the hoods & 1-handed. Not managed hands off yet and a first go at 1-leg didnt go too well either /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif I've been able to ride at FTP easily enough on 3.5" rollers (275w) and managed a few blasts >300w, but I see these most suited to L3 & L4 work as once I get exhausted on higher intensity intervals its certainly harder to stay balanced. I suspect that at high intensity I'll either hold back the efforts to maintain stability or go hard and lose concentration and stability - neither sounds ideal, so I'll keep the KK for anything >L4. Big challenge compared to the turbo is reaching for, and using, a sweat towel once you're going hard, so I suspect the occasional stop for a wipe and drink will be an essential component of future sessions until I totally master the balance thing. I also set up my laptop on the bench in front of me, with Golden Cheetah v3 running in realtime training mode so I can constantly monitor power, cadence and HR over time during the session. Its a great training aid for any indoor session.

Surprising thing to me was that after only a couple of rides on the rollers, probably totaling <1hr, on my next road ride I was already more aware of my pedal stroke and being more smooth. Being able to get on the rollers quickly and easily will certainly mean these get more use, and alternating with turbo trainer sessions will add a lot of variety to next winter.

One tip for beginners I havent seen anywhere, that helped me hugely, was to keep only the lightest grip on the bars. I had a death grip that caused all sorts of balance issues but when I was constantly reminded to wiggle my fingers and relax my shoulders it all came together nicely!

Originally Posted by Bigpikle .

Surprising thing to me was that after only a couple of rides on the rollers, probably totaling <1hr, on my next road ride I was already more aware of my pedal stroke and being more smooth. Being able to get on the rollers quickly and easily will certainly mean these get more use, and alternating with turbo trainer sessions will add a lot of variety to next winter.
I have just about abandoned my KK trainer. For indoor training I have been using the e-Motion rollers for all sessions even up to L5 since this past December, but I know the type that I have allows a little more variability even out the saddle sprints. I have only tried a couple of light sprints on them and the motion of the rollers is kind of freaky for sure especially when sitting back down. My FT is much lower than yours (by the way congrats on your recent 290 W x 20 effort) and with three level adjustments (I use level 1 and have three cogs remaining on the cassette) I have plenty of growing room with these rollers.

Thanks Felt /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I've seen the videos of these rollers and they do look good, and saw the Tacx version, which offers some of the same motion. Would be interesting to try those for some sprints, if and when I get the confidence to try that!