training on rollers

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by mataliog, Apr 3, 2003.

1. mataliog

mataliog New Member

is there anybody to tell me if can i do pedaling of my saddle for a while on rollers?is it dangerous or there is a special technik?

Tags:

2. ewep

ewep New Member

I tried it. Nearly saw my behind (without looking in the mirror). I would not try it.

3. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

I have ridden out of the saddle on rollers, but only for a few seconds while you rest/shift you butt. Unfortunatly, you need a smooth technique to stay upright and standing up is just not smooth enough.

Can you ride no handed yet?

4. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

It's definitely possible to ride standing up on rollers, if you're smooth and carefull! I could used to ride no hands to, while i changed my tee shirt. Still, neither are as fun as standing up while riding your bike on the treadmill on incline while doing a max test :D

I wish i knew what happened to my rollers :(

Ric

5. mataliog

mataliog New Member

i am training on rollers for 2 years.i feel very comfortable on but i think that it is little dangerous to stand up with my road bike.if i had a track bike maybe...

6. Sprinter_989

Sprinter_989 New Member

Well all i no is dont try to sprint out of the saddle on em,u get to fast for them and go headfirst into the wall......

7. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Ric, I've been training on a big woodway treadmill which is great fun. Problem with a woodway is its a long way down! (unless its sunk into the floor).

Have also been on it wearing EMG equipment and also on a bike that travels forward when you pedal backward (uses cranks made by a company 'supergear').

8. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Ahh, yes the Woodway. Great fun doing max tests on it, and training on it. Use to set it to 8% and do some great climbing sessions on it.

Definitely right, it's a long way off the back of a Woodway, luckily never seen anyone come off one, but have seen someone come off the back of a Power Jog. Luckily not as far down!!

Only ridden bikes like that at the fair etc and they steered the wrong way too ;-)

Ric

9. Shabby

Shabby New Member

Most rollers have only one wheel on the front. Hence, when you stand up you put more weight on your handlebars, the centre of mass of which is behind the centre of the axis of the roller. This causes the front wheel to roll down the roller, sending you backwards, hence you crash.

It's possible to do, but there probably isn't any benefit to doing it. And you look like a gumby when you crash.

No hands is worth doing though, as it forces you to keep your torso balanced (core stability etc....). But once again, you look like a gumby if you crash.